Third world Linux charities?

Gnubie

After hearing about Bill Gates donating $1 billion in sofware (undoubtedly Microsoft software) to the third world, I wondered if there were any charities that donate Linux or other free software. Why would you need to donate something that is free? Well, in most places of the world people can not afford internet access to get the free software, nor may the internet infrastructure even exist. So it would make sense to donate to them CDs containing the software, since there is no other way they can obtain it....

So anyway, does anyone know of such a charity? I would be willing to mail them any old Linux cds I may have.

Yes, there was a post on here a while ago from some people at university in Iraq who want to get linux up and running and integrated as their country is rebuilt.

I've just been to check out their website again. They don't appear to need any software at the moment - they've recently distributed 200 Mandrake Move CDs to students. :thumbs:

The site has been cracked a couple of times, so perhaps they need some security advice? :unsure:

I subscribed to that newletter but I never got anything... strange?

As for security advice, as long as they're running Linux (or BSD), I'm pretty sure they can find some noble spirit to give that for free!

Edited by Darkelve