Automatic renaming of mp3

GodFlesh

mp3's and ogg's (dunno 'bout mpc's) are identified by their ID3 tags, so connecting to the internet to identify them isn't really necessary. however, i don't know of any program that will do this automatically :-/ I use GRIP to rip my cd's, and it takes care off all that for me...not sure if you could somehow use GRIP to do this however...

The problemis doing this retrospectively.,,,,,

and don't i know it....

The best i could come up with is a few konqueror add-ons that let you rename etc. based on rules....and edit the mp3 tags!!!

What I did (and their might be a better way) is lookup by band/album on cddb and then apply the changes to all files int he directory.

You have to be really careful because of rereles etc. where they change the tracks or add one becuase the routine works like track1->hatever is track one in the CDDB entry etc.

I made a total hash of 'the wall' this way....

NOW - I only EVER rip when connected to CDDB.....

its just a trap you get into (at least I did) - oh ill just rip this on the laptop dah dah dah ..... and then before you know it youve done half your Cd collection and .....

Im guessing this is where you are right now!!!

There is a program called MusicMan which is a Konqueror plugin. You highlight a group of mp3/ogg files right click and it gives the option to rename based on the ID3 tags. I'm afraid I don't know the project's web address, but if you have problems I can send you the rpm (its only small).