Cleaning out HDD space

I wonder if URPMI stores packages or something that take up a lot of space. I need to clear out some space, any ideas what I could remove? Something is eating up a lot of space...

Where can I find the directories that take up the most space? I know "df" shows which drives are filling up, but I don't know how to check which folders take up the most disk space.

I'm going a bit crazy here, too, so apologies for my weird typing. I have no idea how stable my currentl compiled kernel is. If you've read my other posts you might realize I am losing my sanity over the stability of my system. So far it's running fine, but...

Edit: moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman

Apparently you have lost your sanity so much that you are posting in the wrong forums. Tips and Tricks is to be used if you are offering a tip or trick, not if you are looking for one.

Some help:

List the output of the df command, unless all you have is one big partition in which case it will be useless.

A few things to try first. Check what you have in your home directory. You never know, there may be a few expanded files that you could delete and only keep the compressed versions. Check out /var to see what kind of log files you have floating around in your system. Check out your tmp directory to see what might be lurking in there.

Defrag your hard drive :P (just kidding)

Check to see how many kernel sources you have lying around. Do a google search to see what else you might be able to find out. Post in the right forum so you get a better answer.

• 2 months later...

Do this command from your /home directory.

cd /home

du -s * | sort -nr > $HOME/filled_up.txt

cd /bobguy

cat filled_up.txt

75M bobguy

28M sandy

Now see what each user has in their home directory

du -s * | sort -nr > $HOME/filled_up_bobguy.txt

cat filled_up_bobguy.txt

908K descriptions

629K office

512K dualview.png

420K bbf1.png

2.5M web

1.2M docs

1.0K tmp

You get the idea.

The text file will show you the largest files and names first, to the smallest files, and directorys last.

df -Th is another good one.

Edited by BobGuy©

urpmi will store the downloaded rpm's somewhere, I would assume somwehere in /var (thats where redhat's up2date stores them) - if you check out man urpmi I seem to remember theres an option to clear out some of the space it's using.

hello all.

godflesh mentioned Filelight. If you haven't used it then you don't know what you are missing. It is GUI but it gives you a more amazing view than any of your command line methods ever will . I know I will be flamed for this by the purists but so what. Most likely they will never have tried it.

Filelight gives you a view of the sizes and their relationships that you CANNOT get any other way. At a glance you can see the various sizes relative to oneanother. I would go so far as to say IT SHOULD BE A STANDARD PART OF ALL LINUX OSs.

Give it a try because I know you will not regret it.

Cheers. John.