Problems with 9.2

kilimanjaro

Ok I am back trying 9.2 again. I do have menus this time, but I cannot change them.

I tried menu drake and then saved the changes, and then rebooted and it was still the same menu.

The other problem is that when I try to get packages form contribs I get an error, and it says something like it may be out of date. I have been able to download a few things form contrib but not others, and the size doesn't seem to matter.

So right now 9.2 is kind of working, but I am afraid to do an update, and I only get partial acces to one update medium. I have tried a couple of the suggestions on how to fix the menu problems, but none of them changed anything. :help:

Now that you have your penguins back - all will be fine, kilimanjaro :-)

1. the infamous menu-problem.

- first option: open a console, type: update-menus -v

- second option: open a console, type: menudrake

Click on the button: menustyle, choose the second option: the Mandrake Menu, everything and more (or similiar), click on the SAVE button (don't forget it). You may want to logot and login again.

2. the even more infamous contrib mirror problem

first option: open a console, su to root, type/copy and paste the following (it has to be in ONE line)

urpmi.addmedia mycontrib

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man....2/contrib/i586 with hdlist.cz

(edit, does not work here on the board, it gets cut off, where do I disable the url-thingie???)

second option: Configure your computer --> software management --> software sources (or similiar), add new, choose ftp, name it as you want, fill in as adress:

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man....2/contrib/i586

(does not work ...)

path to hdlist:

hdlist.cz

(only THIS, not something like ../../balalal/something, JUST: hdlist.cz

As for the rest: I never installed any 'updates' on my mandrake 9.2 ... if your not running a server with security issues ... ?

Edited by anna

I switch from fluxbox to kde and I have no meus, luckily I can get a konsole.

I tried the update-menu -v and it does a buch of stuff and then it just stops and doesn't give me a new prompt.

It stops on:

Update-menu [3508]: Running method:/etc/menu-method/simplified//gnome

Is this what it is supposed to do or is something wrong?

I tried the update-menu -v  and it does a buch of stuff and then it just stops and doesn't give me a new prompt.

Hit enter, to get the prompt back.

I don't know about fluxbox. For KDE there is a third option which solves this problem, but I guess you want to use fluxbox as DE, so it's useless for you. :unsure:

Have you tried the menudrake option?

I have tried the mendrake option. I tried updating one of the bug fixes last night it was titled rpm and it said it could cause problems with menu, but it didnot seem to make any difference for me. I thinkjI might try reinstalling again. I have another problem this moring, my computer has been freezing. It worked fine last night, but it has done it 3 times in hour this morning.

I have managed to get menus back in kde, but I still cannot change them.

I downloaded the rpm update and the draxtools update, and I tried to get them back, and no luck, but then I tried as root and I atleast have menus, they are messed up and almost useless in their organisation, but atleast they are menus.

I believe this is a bug that you may not see a fix for until MDK 10. Just run the update menu command from console for KDE. For Fluxbox, click "reload configuration" in your menu everytime you install something and you want to add it to the menu.