configuration for Internet with 56k5 modem

Linux_Fan

Recently, I installed LM9.2. During the installation I choose to connect to internet via a modem (56k5). After LM 9.2 was installed, I installed Mozilla 1.5 successfully. Now I want to finish the configuration so I can go on Internet. Where can I find the dialer (not on desktop)?

not sure what you mean, exactly........ you had internet connection to dload Mozilla, but now you don't? or, you have internet connection, but you want to know where to click to get it started? in either case, you can try either of the following to get internet connection configured or started if configured already. go to Kicker->configuration->network->drakconnect & set things or start things from there. you can also use Kicker->network->KPPP & do the same. i use DSL, so unfortunately i don't know the command line syntax to start a dial up connection. if that's what you need, i'm sure somebody else will come along & provide that for you.

Chris

the pkg is

kdenetwork-kppp

oops.........sorry 'bout that. i'm at work & was going from memory. with my memory, i shoulda known better....... :unsure:

Chris

the pkg is

kdenetwork-kppp

oops.........sorry 'bout that. i'm at work & was going from memory. with my memory, i shoulda known better....... :unsure:

Chris

???? it's me that didn't give the correct package name isn't it ?

Anyway

oops.........sorry ... <like Chris said>

roland

Edited by roland

kppp isn't automatically installed on 9.2 (another of its obvious flaws)

You will find it either in networking or in the kde section of packages.

If it is allready installed and you are using kde, it should be in two places.

go to your menu and:

Either in

networking -> remote access -> kppp

or

things to do -> surf the web (or get online) I don't remember exactly

Then you will have to set up your connection, and you can do this in kppp or you can do it in mandrake control center. The one advantage to doing in in the control center is that it will automatically find which port your modem is set for.

A word of warning - if you are using a winmodem you will probably have problems. I would suggest a hardware modem or an external modem (I have this). Supposedly there drivers for the winmodems, but I never could get mine to work.

Let me know how you make out

Edited by kilimanjaro