Sound on Toshiba Laptop

Guest Joe Noob

Guest Joe Noob

Ok first some background, im using Mandy 9.2 on a Toshiba 5205-S503 with a Yamaha YMF753, 16 bit, Sound Blaster Pro.

The live cd PCLinuxOS Preveiw 4 ( A Mandrake 9.2 based CD) with the 2.4.22-21 kernel gets the sound to work great , once I enable ACPI at boot ( the default is acpi=ht ). Without enabling acpi sound wont work.

Ive tried enabling acpi with mandy's default 2.4.22-10 kernel but nothing I've found on google works for me ( ya you guessed it Big time Newbie).

Sound also woks with PCLinuxOS preveiw 5 with the 2.4.23- something kernel.

So I'm looking for the "easiest most newbie frendly" way of getting sound to work, I have the 2.4.22-26 kernel in mdk RPM, but there are 2 problems one I have an Nvidia card so I have to redo that after I install the new Kernel ( I know this from a failed attempt) and Im a little fuzzy on how to reinstall the module, I guess from what Ive read its a module .

2 The mandrake kernel rpm deal doesnt work like the docs that are based on unpacking a tag.gz kernel, were you can boot the old one if the new doesnt work and Im not sure if the 2.4.22-26 kernel will even work. If the -26 kernel works I dont really need the -10 kernel unless the -26 nocks out the PCMCIA support or something like that.

Edited by Joe Noob

I have to second bvc's suggestion to install pclinuxos preview 5 on the hard drive. I have a similar laptop to yours and so far pclinuxos preview 5 works fine with exception of the modem (requires redownloading the driver tarball & kernel source and recompiling the driver) . Just check on my sig :)

Anyway, the -10 version of mandrake 9.2 kernel refuse to work with my laptop.. I have to update to -25 version to make the laptop runs. After that and a couple of tweaking and compiling.. I was finally able to get most of the stuffs working (including suspend to hd), but still have that pick 2 out of 3 problem that is common with this type of laptop. I can only pick either XFree, irda, or wireless.

Since PCLOS forgo with urpmi entirely, you have to install urpmi and rpmdrake packages from the powerpack cds. Then add the cd repositories to urpmi database. After that.. it's smooth sailing..

I did it with my download edition, so powerpack edition should not be any different (at least in regards to the process).

Guest Joe Noob

What hardware tells me in my non-working mandrake:

DESCRIPTION: 82801 AC97 Audio Controller

SOUND MODULE: i810-audio

ALTERNATIVE DRIVERS: (The ones that SuSE 9 uses and I believe the ALSA drivers)snd-intel 8x0

With suse sound works but it has a bug were the system slows down to about 40% when sound and video are used together so you get a stuttering effect.

I checked and Texstar has a pretty good list of packages for his package manager so that shouldnt be a problem, I have pretty basic needs just some graphics and office tools right now.

Is PClinuxOS a graphical " Does it for you" install ?

And the other side of the coin, If i upgraded the kernel to the 2.4.22-26 mdk which I have in my list of packages is Nvidia the only thing I have to worry about and if so how is it reinstalled or reconfigured . and if i need the nvidia .run file, do I save it to a CD or usb storage device

PClinuxOS hd install is basically a script that fdisk the drive, format the partiition, copy all the files, setup lilo, and reboot. Almost the same as knoppix hd install really.

When you upgrade the kernel, not only you have to recompile the nvidia kernel, but also the modem driver (and possibly cpad, too, if you use it). Just put your .run file in your /home partition since the kernel upgrade will not format your hd or anything. Just make sure that you get out of X first before running the script.

PClinuxOS hd install is basically a script that fdisk the drive, format the partiition, copy all the files, setup lilo, and reboot. Almost the same as knoppix hd install really.

:o format? :huh:

from

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/html/do...umentation.html

Launch Master Control Center

Mountpoints”

Diskdrake

Create a swap partition double your memory or 2 gigs if you are interested in remastering PCLinuxOS for your own personal use.

Create a / partition of atleast 5-6 gigs or more.

Check the box hide files

Format the swap partition

Format the / partition in reiserfs or ext3.

Click ok to write to partition table.

Click done.

Check no when asked to modify fstab.

where's fdisk?

[EDIT] BTW, I just did the above yesterday with partitions created by Partition Magic8. I just gave it the mount points. No formating took place.

Edited by bvc

Guest Joe Noob

Well tried to upgrade the kernel along with the nvidia drivers and it didnt really work. Everything seemed to go fine , the latest nvidia drivers took out the old ones and gave me the Installation is complete but I couldnt switch to runlevel 5 (init 5). It just took me to a command line screen and ask me to log in, so I log in as a user and try init 5 the cursor jumps below and the system hangs, it doesnt lock up but hangs. So i log in as root and try init 5 with the same results.

Did something not configure ? cause it boots fine until it comes to the piont were the screen with the splash screen comes up and then gos to the consol screen were it asks me to log in, I do I try init 5 nothing.

So I rebooted, pressed esc and watched all of the;

Blah Blah blah [OK]

stuff go by and I saw stating or entering init 5 go by and about fifteen other things (they go by pretty fast) it pauses a little at starting Privoxy then about three more lines go very quickly and then it gos to consol.

Any idea whats wrong

Guest Joe Noob

Ok found an artical that pointed out the prob. you need to restart the computer after the kernel install and then run the nvidia installer.

uname -r

2.4.22-26 BABY!!!!

now to enable acpi and listen to some tunes

Thanks for everything guys