missing /dev/modem

Guest nashdan

Guest nashdan

I am doing a new dual boot install of W2K/MDK9.0, install went fine but cannot get my USR5610B modem setup. I cannot find /dev/modem when I try to set a symlink to ttyS4. How do I create the /dev/modem file? I tried creating a new text file but access was denied.

Thanks Dan

Edited by nashdan

Open a console and do this (anything inside of <<>> are just comments or actions...don't actually type them verbatim):

su <<hit enter>>

<<type your root password...you won't see it being typed>><<hit enter>>

ln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem <<hit enter>>

Guest nashdan

Thanks for the response Steve. I already tried that and get a message "no such file or directory". I cannot find either a ttyS4 file or /dev/modem file by searching. I need to know how to create those files before they can be linked.

Thanks Dan

its probably on COM1 which would make linux detect it as /dev/ttyS0. if you have an external modem (sorry but im too lazy to lookup the model :D), test if you modem is seen by linux by trying this

$ echo > /dev/ttySX

where X is 0-4. watch the LEDs of your modem and if it blinks then that is the device that you need to symlink to.

ciao!

First of all, creating that link WILL create /dev/modem, and you CAN'T create /dev/ttySX

There's an easy way to figure all this out

1. Intall kppp just open up the mandrake controll center, go to the software tab, click on 'add software' and search for kppp in the search box.

2. run kppp it should show up in your menu, if it doesn't, just open a console and enter kppp Ask later how to fix your menu if you don't know how.

3. look around in kppp. It's pretty straight forward. There are two options you need to find. The first is a menu that lets you pick where the modem is. You can pick /dev/ttySX or /dev/modem. The other thing you need to find, is the "query modem" button.

4. One at a time try each tty and try to query the modem. If it's the wrong port, you will get no response or all empty fields. If it's the right port, you'll get a bunch of crap you don't understand.

Once you know what tty you're on, let's say ttyS5, you need to open a terminal and do three things (I'm assuming ttyS5 which is almost certainly wrong)

'su'

'rm /dev/modem'

'ln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem '

if you do that, you will be done.

It goes without saying that it would be a heck of a lot easier if you could just figure out what serial port you have it connected to and remember that tty numbers are 1 lower than windows serial port numbers, i.e. Com port 1 is ttys0, and com 5 is ttys4 and so on.

If you have serial ports on the back of your computer, they ARE ttys0 and ttys1

First of all I had that modem til I burned it up and then the USR5686EXT. The 5610B is not external but pci so it is not ttyS0 or 1 but com5 win/ttyS4 Linux. I just wanted to see if something weird was happening. In my case it made no diff which pci slot i put it in it always put itself there. Bios can override this, and weird things happen, so I thought I'd ask ;)

Secondly, the /proc filesystem can tell you.

Thirdly,

/var/log/messages

and/or

/var/log/dmesg

should also tell you as well.

Last but not least, doesn't kppp go to ttyS4? Why worry about a symlink? I don't know if it does or not because I used wvdial which allows you to tell it even if ttyS2000 (joke).

Guest nashdan

This board is lame, every time I compose a reply with details and attempt to post it my login times out. By logging back in my reply is lost, its worse then a cell phone!

answers: Win IRQ= 23 COM4

Linux IRQ=9, at b800

'rm /dev/modem'

'ln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem ' returns message: "no such device found"

I am about to blow this install away and start over, I am starting to believe MS's TCO comparisions.

Thanks, Dan

login times out? That's crazy! I think you have an hour b4 that happens. Contact an admin. Seriously.

Hmmm....weird. COM4? Ok. Then

ln -s /dev/ttyS3 /dev/modem

linux starts a 0

win starts at 1

so subtract one and it should be at ttyS3, which I know is in kppp, and I know that modem is detected my drakconect. Uhmmm, you didn't by chance install drivers did ya? Cause that's not a good thing from what I've seen. The driver is in the kernel, since it is an actuall hardware, selfcontrolled modem. All that has to be done is point the ppp config tool to the rt port.

Let us know.

I can tell you this. You are one in who knows how many. Search all the linux forums. This is not a prob modem whatsoever. It's either the fault of the machine, user, bios, or drivers were unnecessarily installed.Or a combo. It's by far an extremely easy modem to setup in linux and easier than in win. I did it many times with different distros without a prob.

Edited by bvc

Guest nashdan

I know this should work as I set it up last August and used it until I wiped the drive to setup a dual boot install. I tried all KPP devices from /dev/modem thru ttyS3 with no response. The issue seems to be that /dev/modem does not exist anywhere in the file system, ergo the "found no such file" message from rm-f/dev/modem.

Thanks

Dan

Guest nashdan

I dumped the install and replaced it. Now I can connect with KPP or Gnome but get pppd daemon died "exit status: 16" message from KPP. The modem is now found at ttyS4 and works, ppp fails though.

Thanks

Dan

Well are you having all the luck (as if there is such a thing). Bummer. Good to see you hanging in there though!

The command

man pppd

tells what the errors mean, though they're usually not much help.

http://www.hmug.org/man/8/pppd.html

EXIT STATUS

16 The link was terminated by the modem hanging up.

See?.....told ya :D

If you're not already, run kppp from a terminal, in hopes of getting more output to the problem. Also, look in /var/log/messages for network/ppp errors/problems.

Did ya set it up in drakconnect first? Or try to?