Updateing kernel

I've updated my kernel version from 2.4.22.10mdk to 2.4.22.23mdk(!?) by using

# urpmi kernel-2.4.22.23mdk like this page told me todo.

The next step was to:

This will install the new kernel alongside any old kernels that are currently on your system. Next, edit the /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/menu.list file (depending upon your bootloader). Ensure that you will be able to boot your old kernel by making sure a stanza exists for it specifically. If this is your first kernel update on the system, you likely will have two stanzas that point to symlinks; the kernel installer always updates these to point to the latest vmlinuz and initrd.img files. Usually a copy and paste of the new kernel stanza and modifying the kernel number is all you will need. For instance, if the new kernel is 2.4.19-24mdk and the release kernel is 2.4.19-16mdk, copy the -24mdk stanza and replace -24mdk with -16mdk.

If you use lilo, once you have modified your /etc/lilo.conf file, you must execute "lilo -v". Grub users do not have to do anything extra. Now you can reboot into the new kernel.

Now I'm in trouble... I'm using LILO, but in "vmlinuz" there is no mention of kernel version!? I'm at work now, but when I get home, I can quote what exactly is in my lilo.conf file if needed.

Any tips so far?

As root open a console and

cd /boot

ls vmlinuz*

ls initrd*

to see the full names of all the installed images. Add the entry to /etc/lilo.conf that matches the number of the kernel you just installed, then run

lilo -v

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-26mdk

label="linux"

root=/dev/hdb1

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.22-26mdk.img

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda2"

read-only

Just to give you an idea of what Steve is talking about this is my lilo entry after upgrading to 2.4.22-26. Always be sure to run lilo after making changes.

Maybe I'm a idiot, but I still don't get it... this is my lilo.konf:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
default="Mandrake_9.2"
keytable=/boot/no-latin1.klt
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
disk=/dev/hdd bios=0x81
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="Mandrake_9.2"
root=/dev/hda6
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="devfs=mount splash=silent hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda7 splash=silent"
vga=788
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="linux-nonfb"
root=/dev/hda6
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="devfs=mount splash=silent hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda7"
read-only
other=/dev/hda2
label="Windows_XP"
table=/dev/hda
other=/dev/fd0
label="floppy"
unsafe
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="failsafe"
root=/dev/hda6
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="failsafe devfs=nomount splash=silent hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda7"
read-only

My new kernel is 2.4.22-26mdk

What do I change?

Add a new image exactly the same as the first two - but point to your new vmlinuz file and initrd file (also give it a unique label). Then run lilo and your done!

If you are not sure which files to point to then (as said above) mount /boot and look at what has been put in there...

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-23mdk
label="new-kernel"
root=/dev/hda6
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.22-23mdk.img
append="devfs=mount splash=silent hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda7"
read-only

Add that, save the file and run

lilo -v

If I look in /boot, I only have vmlinuz and vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk, but if I look in RPMDrake, remove software, I have 2.3.22.26mdk. How can this be, and what should I do?

gah, you need to manually update your bootloader when installing a new kernel rpm??

That really sucks, the rpm should take care of that for you, come on Mandrake - get your act together!!!

You only need to manually update your bootloader (lilo anyway) if you want to make your old kernel version available ... i.e. if your new kernel won't boot up. Otherwise, the rpms do take care of updating lilo.conf correctly (from what I've seen).

urpmi kernel.blah.rpm

does update lilo correctly at least it has evertime for me.

I still have to change the default kernel afterwards if i remember correctly but it is trivial to do via mcc.