Conexant soft Modem & Mandrake 9.2 please!

Wandera

Hello and nice to meet you all :)

Besides the fact Linuxant.com only offer free Conexant soft Modem drivers with a license registration "FREE" that is capped at 14.4k data transfer. ( 56k modem )

I just cant seem to get things going, im definately newb to the Linux world and keen to get the internet hooked up through my PCI soft56k ( i know i should invest in a hardware/external one )

I installed a driver .rpm package successfully from the command line using "rpm -i hsfmodem-(version).(arch).rpm and now need directions as to setting the internet connection up.

I use the Xwindows configuration for Internet Access and such, configure using the Expert choice and settings like:

Normal Modem ( not sure if i have to use Winmodem cause it doesnt detect one )

/dev/modem ( i assumed this was the path, aswell as ttsy0 for the first installed modem ??? )

Then entering the connection details to finally have it "connect to the internet now" at the end of the wizard, and it tells me theres no connection.

I assume the Authentication is: PAP ??

here is the exact model and chipset of my PCI Conexant HSF Modem.

Model:- Volcano SoftK56 Data Fax SpeakerPhone CARP

Chipset:- Conexant soft56k HSFi

I really really! need anyone who can offer their help to participate cause im eager to get Windows off my system completely and i cant do that without linux Internet access :) Many thanks for your time and effort.

P.S ( Incase your wondering what exactly im asking, i need to know what drivers, where to get them, how to install them, how to get Xwindows configured to use the modem and dial up and form a connection, just about everything ;) thanks!! )

http://aslan.no-ip.com/~iphitus/linux/cont...t.php?content.2

If you have the HSF, like I did, use the .src.rpm. You'll need the kernel-source installed though which is not in the download addition of ML9.2 so...in a terminal as root do

uname -r

to find out what kernel you are running. Download a kernel-source that matches. Example;

[root@localhost root]# uname -r
2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk
[root@localhost root]# rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-tmb-2.4.23.2.tmb.2mdk-1-1mdk
kernel-tmb-source-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk

kernel=2.4.23.2.tmb

source=2.4.23-2.tmb

do not install the modem src.rpm w/ rpm -ivh. Instead, do

rpmbuild --rebuild hsflinmodem-5.03.27mbsibeta02122600-1.src.rpm

if all goes well you'll see

Wrote /usr/src/RPM/bla bla/i586/hsflinmodem-5.03.27mbsibeta02122600-1.rpm

then do;

rpm -ivh /usr/src/RPM/bla bla/i586/hsflinmodem-5.03.27mbsibeta02122600-1.rpm

then, what you failed to do above was

hsfconfig

and follow the prompts.

Regardless, you'll find the modem setup in the mandrake control center will say it's not connecting even with everything configured correctly. Just wait another minute, ignore the messages and see if it connects. Also try kppp. Install the kdenetwork-kppp rpm and run kppp in a terminal if it does not show up in the menu. Wvdial is great but more advanced and something to worry about later if you don't want to use kde and have learned you way around a little more.

Let us know how it goes or if you need more help.

Oh, if I remember rt the /dev/modem symlink will point to /dev/ttyHSF0. Find out with the command

file /dev/modem

Remember it is not suppose to work with linux, so it's a weird tty not a real hardware tty. Does it work? Oh yeah, I downloaded ML9.0's 3 700MB iso's with the conexant HSF56k :cheeky:

..and welcome to linux!

Edited by bvc

You guys are the greatest, i now know why my instinct was telling me;

Enough with Microsoft!!!

Im just sitting down to read this so im gonna print it out and download some stuff :)

This is gonna be tricky i might need a bit more of a hand but once its done i'll never forget.

Thanks again!! Wish me Luck.

Ok well i just booted in and forgot to download a matching Source... i cam back into Windows to search around and find this FTP:

ftp://mdk.linux.org.tw/pub/mandrake/9.2/i.../Mandrake/RPMS/

with a file called:

kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk.i586.rpm

notice my kernel version, if anyone has a more approptiate kernel-source in mind for me to download, or maybe i havent found the suited one, please tell me :) thanks

Its 40megs so im heading to bed while it streams but i thought i'd give a little more input into my dilemma incase any further issues need addressing to help me get into the Linux world, these past few days has taught me alot :)

When i Launch the connection wizard in the config center, i can do an auto-search and the results of that at the next screen are something like

x Winmodem Connection - Detected

note that it didnt find a normal connection modem or anything like that, assuming yea thats normal, but as i proceed through the steps it attempts to configure it and then displays a screem saying:

" Your modem is not supported, check out www.linmodem.org "

or something like that.

One last thing, and my many many thanks to those taking the time to help me,

is where and how to obtain KPPP because i dont like my chances of getting things going with just the config in the control center.

Once i can establish an internet connection in Linux, browsing the web for help and tutorials will make future tasks a bundle load easier, thanks again fellows.

if in a terminal

uname -r

shows

2.4.22-10mdk

then that is the rt kernel-source. If I remember rt it is the default for 9.2.

One thing that stinks with that modem is this. Every time you update the kernel, you must uninstall and reinstall the modem driver, and do the hsfconfig, which means getting a matching kernel-source with every kernel update. You may be perfectly happy with the default kernel, and that's fine. Just something to keep in mind.

to install kppp, in a terminal as root do

urpmi kdenetwork-kppp

or use the Software Manager in the mandrake control center.

If no connection is configured, choosing setup from kpp calls draknet (mandrake control center) anyway. It must be configured there b4 kppp can be used. Wvdial can be setup and used independently though.

Yea many thanks for your input bvc, has helped me a million. Ive been really busy the last 2 days and havent had time to get the kernel-source installed yet.

Whats that point about updating the kernel ? what version would anyone recommend and what does that mean i have to do with the kernel-source?? get a new version aswell?

I understand the whole uninstall then reinstall the drivers if i do update the kernel yea.

Say mines 2.4.22-10mdk whats the newest i can get.

This whole linux integration is going well, ive learnt all sorts of new things, thanks.

I'll get back to here when i install the source/driver again.

You're most welcome!

Mostly security, if that concerns you, and bug fixes. If not, and there's not new features in a newly released kernel then keep an old. Many on older machines still run the 2.2 kernel. Some do because they don't need/want the newer features of the 2.4. If everything works, keep it. Imediately after 9.2 was released there was a new kernel to fix some acpi issues, I think mostly for laptops because mine was fine.

Ok everything went well with the kernel-source install....

For some reason you told me to use "rpmbuild --rebuild etc.."

Umm im not sure whats up but my Mandrake 9.2 says it aint a command, so i assumed "rpm --rebuild etc.." was the same thing and used that.

The driver was in *src.rpm format and when i ran the command:

"rpm --rebuild hsflinmodem.src.rpm"

it prompted that the directory it was obviously trying to build the rpm to, was infact not there /usr/lib/rpm/rpmb

so i created it and allocated permissions accordingly only to get this message when trying again:

" Permission Denied"

/usr/lib/rpm/rpmb

Hence, the full speed driver, provided by the all amazing bvc hasnt been installed and im stuck at this point, any suggestions?? thanks.

For some reason you told me to use      "rpmbuild --rebuild etc.."

Umm im not sure whats up but my Mandrake 9.2 says it aint a command, so i assumed  "rpm --rebuild etc.."  was the same thing and used that.

Nope, two different apps. You need to install:

"rpm-build" Version: 4.2-18mdk is on CD 2 for Mandrake 9.2

The driver was in *src.rpm format

That is correct version if you are "rebuilding the rpm"

Ahh ok, so i install the "rpm-build" package and then use the command:

"rpmbuild --rebuild hsflinmodem.src.rpm"

then i should see a wrote /such'n'such/hsflinmodem.rpm

then i run the command:

"rpm -ivh hsflinmodem.rpm" ????

Followed by "hsfconfig", and all should be swell? Thanks, scoopy.