Backspace comes out as ^H

Scenario: I'm running checkinstall to make an RPM of the latest software. I mess up when adding the obligatory ABC to the end of every file, so I hit backspace. However, instead of removing the characters, I get ABGC^H^H^H^H^H^H, for every time I hit backspace.

Scenario: I'm trying to get files in ftp, and I mess up the command. Rather, I get "get On ^H", instead of deleting the space....

What's going on? Backspace works in bash, just not in these programs.... ???

OK, cannonfodder, that article made little sense to me.

Gowator, I'm confused about what it is you're suggesting I type. Not exactly as you have it there....

stty erase ctrl+ bkspc?

stty erase bkspc?

I wasn't able to glean much from the man page, either.

weird that i just type those things in my .bashrc as they are and they take effect as expected.

:roll:

well i only did this in mdk8.0 and i cant remember doing it for the subsequent releases. but then again, i just copy over my /home files, hidden files included, whenever i erase the partitions. :D

ciao!

OK, yeah, I get that. And it works in the CLI. Problem is, it doesn't work when I run programs. (Wait, wasn't that the original problem?) I can hit the backspace key--or even Ctrl+H just fine--but if I try either from, say, ftp, I just get a string of ^H's.

OK, yeah, I get that.  And it works in the CLI.  Problem is, it doesn't work when I run programs.  (Wait, wasn't that the original problem?)  I can hit the backspace key--or even Ctrl+H just fine--but if I try either from, say, ftp, I just get a string of ^H's.

most programs respect the terminal settings but there are some that dont.

ciao!