how big swap partitition do I need?

coverup

I'm going to put linux on the new laptop (arrives soon). How much space should I allocate to the swap partition? I read somewhere that the rule is 2x(capacity of the RAM) but not bigger than 512Mb. The laptop will have 1Gb, so should it be 512Mb, or 2Gb?

Also, I'm going to put linux alongside WinXP. The harddrive will apparently have NTFS on it. Will linux be able to write files on it, or will I have to create a dummy FAT32 partition for sharing files between linux and XP?

Since I installed linux for the first time 4 years ago, Win always got the flick from me. It will be my first dualboot... Funny, isn't it?

Keep the dummy FAT32 partition to keep things bug free.

As for the swap partitioin I would go with the 512mb one. Never had a problem with Mandrake even using my 256mb swap. I't never really come close to using it all and I only have 128 mb of mem.

Make sure your hardware is supported and make sure you read a little here on partitioning with XP. There are many posts on that one.

Edited by Pzatch

I agree. having the fat32 partition will be good. as I understand it, there is no support for ntfs.

512 will be plenty also. I have 2 gigs in my linux box at work, and I never fill it up. I come close, but never over. I'm pretty sure that it will use whatever you make available. Besides, the 2xRAM rule was made long after gigs of ram were ever a feasable option.

My desktop has 512Mb RAM  and approx 1Gb swap... gkrellm says that 902M available and 780Mb used... So linux does need swap nearly twice as big as RAM, right? Do I really  have to waist 2Gb for swap?

then you have problems.....big time!

Open a terminal and do

free -m

[root@ml root]# free -m
            total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           250        239         10          0         17         80
-/+ buffers/cache:        140        109
Swap:          203          0        203
[root@ml root]#

256MB RAM

200MB swap

my swap is free, but I just booted and hour ago so that'll change. Look out if msec or updatedb runs. Swap gets eaten alive.

Edited by bvc

Nnop, msec is not running

# ps -x |grep msec
8610 pts/5    S      0:00 grep msec

Well, last time I did reboot a (long) while ago... But isn't the beauty of linux that you don't have to reboot just to free memory/swap? Is there a way to free swap without rebooting?

BTW, I am running VMware session right now, could that be the reason why swap is nearly full?

I'd thought so, but it's more likely that firebird and kde are misbehaving... Exiting vmware returned only 8Mb or so... by closing firebird and evo I claimed back nearly 75% of swap. I still had 85Mb of swap used. Peanuts, but... So I decided to reboot. I closed KDE, and got another 50Mb back. After rebooting, 0 swap was used until I started firebird again...opened a couple of tabs, and here we go - 2Mb of swap gone...

you can have XP installed on a FAT partition, this would avoid the need to have an extra partition.

And as for NTFS support, there is read and write suppoer, however the write is experimental and it isnt reccomended to be used - it works, but there's a slim chance of data loss, but imho, it's probably better ntfs support than early NT versions :P

somewhere in kcontrol you can, to an extend, specify the resources that kde uses. Still, I've been using kernel-2.6 and kde-3.2beta and after msec and friends run only 2/3 of my 200mb swap is used. If any app uses 500-700mb of swap, it has a mem leak no doubt, with the exception of emulation which I could see being made to work off swap, I guess.