how big swap partitition do I need?

coverup

coverup, most of that "used" ram is cached. It's completely normal. Cached ram is available for use. Linux will cache frequently used programs as you use them in ram so you don't have to access your hard drive as much next time you load a program. That's why mozilla takes longer to fire up the first time you load it after boot; it has to load from the hard drive. The second time is faster because the necessary files were cached in ram. For cached ram, if something else needs the ram it will clear the cached ram for use.

If your using kde this is pretty easy to graphically see in kde control center>information>memory. A large percentage of your ram is probably under the "Disk Cache" category and little if any swap is ever used if you have 500MB of ram. It will just keep clearing out the cached ram as needed and not go into swap.

bvc, you are right and I am wrong :oops: It's just that you should rarely go into swap with that much ram so I questioned whether his monitoring tool was accurate. Also, going into to swap to that extent should result in a huge performance hit; everything should slow down. If that's not occuring I wonder what's really going on with firebird.

coverup, if you want to know what's using your memory run:

$ ps aux

and look at the %memory column. You'll be able to quickly identify what's sucking up your memory.

Also, run:

$ free -m

to make sure that all your ram is being detected.

Edited by pmpatrick

Ok, pmpatrick,

from ps aux output, the hungriest apps are:

1) evolution; for some reason I have 6 evolution -mail processes running, each taking 3.1% of the memory;

2) mozilla firebid; 9 processes running, 7 of them take 6.6% of memory;

Now, I have 512Mb of RAM, here is output of free

$ free

total used free shared buffers cached

Mem: 513056 508516 4540 0 166892 89080

-/+ buffers/cache: 252544 260512

Swap: 923696 5424 918272

So, all memory is available. 5Mb of swap are used, though I am away from my desk for nearly 12 hours....