Overclock....sticking?

bvc

I have

Abit KD7 VIA KT400

Athlon XP 1900+

256MB RAM

No matter what I change the settings in the bios to for FSB and Multiplier, upon reboot the post dispay shows

1608 for the cpu

this always shows the same as well

a[root@localhost root]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 6
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1900+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1607.043
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 3162.11

Everything thing seems a little snapier, so how do ya know?

Also for the FSB I can choose any number between 0-250. 250? What kind of parameter is that to stop at? Isn't 266 more valid? The default is

FSB=133

Multiplier=12

Ratio=4:2:1

-So is it better just to leave it at 133 and change the Multiplier

or

-Raise the FSB AND lower the Multiplier?

I currently have

FSB=133

Multiplier=14

Ratio=4:2:1

but I'd think you want more fsb before a little cpu, no?

Oh, and one more question the Ratio has an option for 5:2:1 which sounds strange to me. You?

Any suggestions?

Thx!

Edited by bvc

AMD's like to run faster on fsb. There are two approaches: change the fsb, or reduce the fsb and change the multiplier. You may have to increase the voltage to get the chip to run faster. A good fan is a must. I suspect that the reason you don't see the increase is becuase the board is detecting instability and dropping down to the default. Try a slight voltage increase, remembering that this id the perfect way to cook a cpu!! :D

thx. That's what I figured. The fsb setting of 133 supposedly means it's running 266. It's suppose to be able to do 400 if overclock, not that I want that much because I don't want to burn it up. I just thought I'd try to get a little more out of it.

I tried

FSB=133

Ratio=5.2.1

Multi=12

Default voltages

and had to press Insert to load the failsafe options to even get into the bios. So now I have

FSB=133

Ratio=4.2.1

Multi=14

and raised the voltages .25 (ie..7.50 to 7.75

Same results. Seems snappier but nothing says it is. Temp is normal.

There may be other issues here

I just rebuilt my linux box with an Asus A7V8X-X MOBO, which is capable of running 200 to 400 MHz FSB (PC1600-PC3200 DIMMS).

I'm running an Athlon 2600+ with 333FSB, this particular CPU chip will ONLY run with PC2700 or faster DIMMS, but only at run at 333MHz FSB. (Asus built a warning into the bios setup about using slow DIMMS with this processor)

Not being an OC type I don't go beyond the ratings...

I hate the smell of burning Silicon in the morning...it smells, it smells like the start of a very long day...

As for the 266 FSB... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_side_bus

Edited by cjc

In my experience, thi takes a TON of trial and error. set it wrong and it all refuses to post until you reset the bios.

Here is the process I reccomend. I've gotten 2ghz out of a 1200mhz athlon, and been stable.

0. Get a big-ass heat sync, and don't skimp on the thermal goop in between, and an extra case fan or two wouldn't hurt. If you want to skip this step, just mail me your computer, i'll make betteruse of it that you.

1. Raise your fsb by 5mhz.

2. Reboot.

3. Repeat 1 and 2 until your computer won't post.

4. Reset your fsb (and voltage if altered) to whatever failed and increase your voltage by the smalest incriment your mobo allows.

5. Reboot

6. Repeat 4 and 5 untill it will post again.

Repeat steps 1-6 untill you melt the CPU or get happy.

alternate, if you are one of the unlucky s.o.b.'s that can't overclock via the fsb, you can do the same thing by adjusting you multiplyer a litle at a time.

other alternate: find someone with the sme CPU and mobo and ask what they have, ymmv.

WARNING, THIS WILL FRY YOUR CPU IF YOU GO TOO FAR!!!!!!! What's too far, I don't know, and if you're not comfortable with the idea, stay the hell out of the bios. don't cry to me when your cpu get's so hot it melts th gold pins and slides off destroying it and your mobo, not to mention the power backflow that kills everythingelse.

NOTE*** If you're going to overclock by 100% or more, you can't get away with a big-ass heat sink. You need either a radiator and pump or a peltier element. And you also need big-ass case fans and a large volume case for your pc to live in.

0. Get a big-ass heat sync, and don't skimp on the thermal goop in between

Too much thermal paste is not a good thing. Thermal paste is designed to fill in the gaps on the bottom of the heat sink and top of the CPU. Too much paste acts as a thermal barrier...

Besides it gets squished out and just makes a big mess.

thx for the replies! This sucker won't budge. This isn't my first rodeo btw. I built this box and have never seen anything so picky. I think you may be onto something with the mem issue cjc. I have pc2100 not to mention it's the reject oem crap, which is all I could afford since I got so many fans. I was told by a few techies that abit mobo's are picky about the ram they have in them and they were suprised this puppy even ran, lol. Yes VeeDubb, except I can press Insert to load the failsafe settings and reset the cmos :D. I love that. I can only change the Multiplier and voltage just a tad....probably wouldn't even show up on a benchmark, so I'll just be stuck I guess :huh:

Thx again!

Edited by bvc

SOrry to hear tht bvc, next time get a soyo instaed of an Abit. They advertize on their front page that all their product are fully supported under linux and they offer 1mhz fsb stepping on most of their upper end borads. I'm using a Soyo k7vDragon. The absolute top of the soyo line from about 2 years ago. Duron/Athlon/AthlonXP, 3 DDR, 1x/2x/4x/maybe8x apg, on borad sound that kicks ass, hardware dvd sound decoder, on board 10/100 eth, 5 pci slots, 1mhz fsb stepping, 2ide slots, 2 slots that are selectable ide/RAID. CPU fan failure protection, bios virus protection, lot's of other goodies and reasonably priced. Check out http://www.soyousa.com for Americans, or http://www.soyo.com for non-americans.

some come with front USB kits and smart card readers, almost all have extra USB on the mobo for mounting permanent USB addons like my internal multi-card reader.

In case it is not clear, you should definitely see an increase in your /proc/cpuinfo, if it is really overclocking.

OT: I did not know that about the 2600+ not running at anything other than 333 FSB or with RAM lower that PC2700

On my Asus a7v600 (AMD2500+), my board will post, but any OS errors out with basically bad address calls unless I lower the speed of my RAM to 266 (Kingston ValueRAM PC2700). It overclocks to 2200 MHx just fine.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire