Can't run OpenOffice 1.1 on MDK9.2

mascdman

Hi,

I'm running Mandrake 9.2 that I installed from scratch. I installed the OpenOffice 1.1 rpms, but I can't run ooffice or any of the OpenOffice subprograms (oowriter, etc...). Everytime I try, I get the following error:

[mascdman@gamma mascdman]$ rpm -qa | grep OpenOffice

OpenOffice.org-1.1-0.rc4.2mdk

OpenOffice.org-help-en-1.1-0.rc4.2mdk

OpenOffice.org-libs-1.1-0.rc4.2mdk

OpenOffice.org-l10n-en-1.1-0.rc4.2mdk

[mascdman@gamma mascdman]$ ooffice

wrong language for update (installed language doesn't match installation language)

ExitCode: 32

Installation of OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 failed

[mascdman@gamma mascdman]$

However, I can run the program just fine as root. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

I believe OO1.1 is supposed to run as a multi-user system, meaning that once you install the rpms as root (or run their installer on their website, as I did), you have to run an additional setup as a regular user. That creates a folder in your home directory, from which you begin OO by invoking the "soffice" command, as peep correctly mentioned.

All of that information I know from reading their readme. May want to check the manual included with the RPM. (I don't know where it is, as I installed from their site.)

All I can say is that I installed OpenOffice (I think even as a regular user?) and in my home directory there is indeed a (hidden) folder called .openoffice

In this folder the executable ( soffice ) is there [or is it just a symlink?]

Anyway, the full path I have to type to get it working (well, I got an icon now) is:

/home/username/.openoffice/soffice

I added this to my path in my .bashrc profile now though. No more needless typing, just 'soffice' and ready to rumble! ;)

I believe OO1.1 is supposed to run as a multi-user system, meaning that once you install the rpms as root (or run their installer on their website, as I did), you have to run an additional setup as a regular user.  That creates a folder in your home directory, from which you begin OO by invoking the "soffice" command, as peep correctly mentioned.

All of that information I know from reading their readme.  May want to check the manual included with the RPM.  (I don't know where it is, as I installed from their site.)

There are two ways to install OpenOffice. Either as a network install or a stand alone install.

A network install saves on disk space where more than 1 login is going to use the program.

To install for a network:

1. Download or otherwise obtain the latest version which is 1.1.0, this will be a tar.gz file

2. Extract the tar.gz file to a directory of your choice.

3. Open a console, su to root and then cd to the directory that the tar.gz file was extracted to. In this directory will be a file called setup.

4. run this file by typing ./setup -net

5. follow the dialogue boxes.

6. Once installed logout as root and then close the console.

Now each individual user needs to install the necessary files in their home directory

1. Log in as the user who wants to install OOo and locate the directory that the program was installed into in the steps above. You can either use the console or Konqueror.

2. run setup (this time without the -net suffix)

3. Select Workstation Install

4. Follow the dialogue boxes.

This will install the minimum amount of files in each users Home directory

Once installed each user can then, if they want to, obtain and install OOQuickstarter. This puts an icon in the tray to start OOo without going through the Kmenu.

If you want to install OOo as a single user then:

1. Extract the tar.gz file to wherever you want

2. Locate and run setup, using a console or Konqueror

3. Follow the dialogue boxes.

If you then have problems using OOo I would suggest submitting your question to the users@openoffice.org mailing list located at http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html

There are many helpful people on this list including Sun staff, developers and book publishers