Wireless Netwok

aze

Hi Buddies!

I'm looking for the necessary hardware to make an wireless netwok. It must support Linux OSes.

Actually I want to connect a pc far away about 100 meters from an existing LAN Hub 10mbps rJ45 type (realize that is NOT the entire LAN i want use wireless). So what equimaent should I acquire?

Thanks a lot!

How is your current network setup right now? Do you have a dhcp server, firewall, router, hub/switch, etc?

What OSes are on your network currently and what kind of computer are you trying to connect wirelessly?

Here is a quick run down of what you may need:

• Wireless network card - either pcmcia or pci (depending on whether the computer is a notebook or a desktop)
  • Access Point - here you have the option of using an access point with a builtin router or not. (It all depends on what other hardware you have on your existing network)

Linksys is a good company to look at.

Its a home lan.

I have th adsl router modem (PARKS) : 192.168.0.1

3 windows clients : 192.168.0.x (static IP)

The remote PC (desktop - not laptop) runs mandrake and windows

what do you recommend? post link with technical specifications please!

First things first, you need to decide whether you are going to go with 802.11b or 802.11g. If you are not sure of what the letters mean, do a google search and you should find several links that explain the difference. All the links below are for 802.11b.

Okay, that helps. Here is what I recommend.

You can either ditch your currect adsl router and buy a wireless one or you can purchase an straigt access point. The biggest difference between the two is that the Access Point will integrate into your currect network and get an IP address from your currect router. Whereas the wireless router will replace you existing router.

Here are some links for what I am talking about:

Linksys WAP11 Access Point - This is a wireless 802.11b Access Point, no router, no firewall capabilites. It simply plugs into an existing network and allows wireless clients to access your current network.

Linksys Wireless Broadband Router - This will replace your current router and provide both wired and wireless network access. This may be the simplest solution for you, although the Access Point is not that hard to configure either.

This takes care of creating the wireless network. Now you need to connect a client to the network. Since you are trying to connect a desktop computer, you have two choices here: you can either go with a wireless PCI card, or you can get a USB bridge device. Here is what I am talking about.

Wireless PCI Adapter

Instant Wireless USB Network Adapter

I have heard some really good things about the USB network adapter. (Do a search on the forums here for wireless hardware to get an idea for what works and what doesn't)

I am not really sure what you mean by technical specs, but hopefully the links above will answer any questions that you have.

The range of a CAT5 (RJ45) cable is around 60 meters... AFAIK you get heavy duty cabling that can go a little further. I personally would not recommend anything over 40 meters, in my experience it starts acting weird at that length.

Maybe you can put the switch at the halfway mark? Otherwise try it, you might get lucky and a 65 meter cable will work.

Half Duplex (or simplex) is slower then full duplex, no need to get technical about it, I don't understand EXACTLY what it means, I just know that you want Full Duplex. It's like boob size, no man understands why, but they want them bigger. ;)

Wireless or not wireless ?

First, full/half duplex just means can both sides communicate at once.

Take a telephone, you both talk and one can interupt the other. That's FULL DUPLEX. Two way radio is HALF DUPLEX, only one can talk at once and when your talking you can't hear the other .

person.

Thats all it means....

Wireless. The standards are all IEEE 802.11. Then you have a,b,g

a,b are both 11mbs HD. So about the same as traditional 10mbs ethernet. However for internet access thats 10-20x what you will want. a,b use different frequencies and are incompatible.

g is the same frequency as b but nominally 55mbs. Like lost technology you are unlikely to actually get this!!

However, it decreases with range, walls or esp, steel reinforced walls.

Lots of b cards work with linux. I have just got a NETGEAR MA401 from my brother, I swapped it for a belkin 54G which wouldn't work under my Laptop linux (Lindows) and at home Ive been battling with a NETGEAR 511G which also refuses for now to work under linux.

In contrast the old 802.11b card worked immediately, I just inserted it and set it to get the IP from DHCP from my brothers router and Lindows configured everything. I will be trying this under Mandrake when I get home however Mandrake and PCMCIA seem mutually incompatible on my lapto anyway!!!! I got a great deal on the 54G. GBP 60 for the router with a wired 4 port 10/100 switch + G wireless.... AND the PCMCIA card. However, my brother lives in an old farmhouse with 6" thick stone walls (no steel) and had problems with the b card at extremities. >100' This was solved (in winBlows) using the G card.

The real question over the G cards is US legislation... this prevents manuifactuerers who have US distribution channels or offices in the US from making open source drivers. At present it seems either closed source drivers OR non. But thats a seperate thread :D

Ok, so Gowator understands duplex and, hence, probably knows more about boobs as well :P

Why not do this: Make two fifty meter cables and place a small switch inbetween the two? Should work... and small switches aren't very expensive. I know it's a shifty setup, but if you have no other choice... oh, and you could also investigate cabling which has been specifically designed for long distances, it does exist.

Your only other option is fibre-optics, but since your surname isn't Rockafellar I am presuming that that is out of the question :)

can you run RJ45 about 40 meters, then stick a wireless access point on the end of it? 100 meters is definitely pushing it for 802.11b range, especially if there is a lot of structure between the computer and the access point.

it's a bit more pricey than some models, but i really recommend the cisco aironet cards. some other vendors seem to have spotty linux support, but cisco includes in the package software for windows/linux/mac, so you know it'll work in multiple environments and the software interface will be identical on all platforms. Cisco Aironet 350 info:

Range (typical)  

Indoor:

130 ft (40 m) @ 11 Mbps

350 ft (107 m) @ 1 Mbps

Outdoor:

800 ft (244 m) @ 11 Mbps

2000 ft (610 m) @ 1 Mbps

It's like boob size, no man understands why, but they want them bigger. ;)

OT: actually, I don't mind the small ones either...there's more important parts ;)

sorry, i have nothing useful to contribute to this thread...carry on!

No tyme, useful contrib.

In other words you don't mind if its b or g, its more important to have a nice network regardless of BW ?

I think the little connectors at the end are important too. No point having the nice card but a lousy RJ45 on the end :D :woops: