Keep sound volume settings (KDE/MK9.2)

xoox

Hi.

I would like to keep my sound volume settings. But every time I reboot, the volume slider is almost maximized.

I tried to use kmix to solve this and saved my settings as default. But next time I reboot into KDE the volume slider is on max again. I first have to reopen kmix and then load my new default settings manually. How can I make kmix to do that automatically at startup?

I also tried to use alsamixer as root to make it work. But all I get is an error message:

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

Now, I've read here and there that this is related to a module loading problem. But I think that all necessary modules are in place. A "modprobe snd" does not change anything.

Is there any way (no matter what) to adjust the sound volume and keep these settings? Thanks for your help...

If you're sure you're using alsa, is alsa-utils installed? To find out either use the gui in mcc or in a terminal

rpm -q alsa-utils

or to find all alsa pkgs

rpm -qa | grep alsa

when installed should restore your settings. If not it can be done manually with the command line with something like (on win rt now)

alsactrl -t <card> -f /etc/asound.state

just guessing as I'm on win. See if installing alsa-utils (if not installed) does it for ya and we can go from there.

you could also try using aumix & set the volume (& other things) from there. i had the same problem with the KDE volume control (KMix) not holding it's settings. using aumix settings took care of it. it should be in kicker->multimedia->sound. if it's not there use mcc->add software & do a search for it, then install it.

Chris

A

rpm -qa |grep alsa

gives me this:

libalsa-data-1.0.0-0.4rc2mdk

alsa-utils-0.9.8-1thac

libalsa2-devel-1.0.0-0.4rc2mdk

libalsa2-1.0.0-0.4rc2mdk

So, I think everything is in place. I installed aumix from CD via urpmi (I love this tool) and adjusted the volume. I cannot reboot now, but I'm going to do so when I'm finished working and let you know about the result.

Have a nice day...

If you have alsa running (it has to be set up properly and running), then set your volume settings the way you like them and from a console as root type:

alsactl store

This will save your sound settings to be restored the next time you boot.

This will only work if you have alsa configured properly and running.

Glitz.

I tried aumix and it did not work yesterday. All my adjustments were gone again.

But this morning, my newly adusted sound settings were restort in the way it should work. Don't ask me why... I did not change a thing since last time. But anyway, I'm happy... for now. Let's see if it stays this way.

Happy New Year :-)