I think I found the easiest way to install Debain

I think I have found the easiest way to install Debain. You may find it cheap, but it only requires one CD and a good internet connection. Everyone knows that Knoppix is basically Debain, and that it is possible to install it on the hard drive. So here is the easiest way I have found it install Debian.

1) Download and burn the latest version of Knoppix

2) Install Knoppix to the HDD

3) Find the offical latest Debain sources.list and replace the orginal Knoppix one

4) Run "apt-get clean" "apt-get update" and finally "apt-get gnome" (if your a gnome fan)

...and bang you have a fully functional Debain installation on your HDD

Guest kuchwas

Where have you been for the last 13-14 months? :D

These were posted early November 2002:

http://www.distrowatch.com/?newsid=00475

2002-11-03 Knoppix Hard Disk Installation HOWTO

KNOPPIX is one of those miracles that clearly demonstrate the superiority of open source software over proprietary systems. Do yourself a favour and download the ISO image: KNOPPIX_V3.1-31-10-2002-EN.iso (697MB). Burn it onto a CD, boot from it and be prepared to be amazed. A full working Linux system with KDE, GNOME, development and server software running directly from the CD, but you wouldn't even notice if it weren't for the noise of the spinning disk. Most importantly, give the CD to a friend who has never tried Linux and stress that no installation is required. While the concept is not new, the implementation is outstanding. And if you, like many others, happen to fall in love with the Debian-based KNOPPIX, it can be installed on your hard drive in a few easy steps, as per these instructions in English, French or German. Further information and discussion on pclinuxonline and Slashdot.

http://slashdot.org/articles/02/11/02/1729...47.shtml?tid=90

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?n...order=0&thold=0

I think I have found the easiest way to install Debain.  You may find it cheap, but it only requires one CD and a good internet connection.  Everyone knows that Knoppix is basically Debain, and that it is possible to install it on the hard drive. So here is the easiest way I have found it install Debian.

3) Find the offical latest Debain sources.list and replace the orginal Knoppix one

4) Run "apt-get clean" "apt-get update" and finally "apt-get gnome" (if your a gnome fan)

Debain?

Isnt it Debian? :deal: :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

Sarah31....

the differerence is this works with no hassle. It has to be tried to be beleived ...

Its also got a great advantage .... you can test all your hardware actually works (without fuss) before doing the whole netinstall. This is what sold it to me....

Its so cool ...

I was actually planning to fix Mandrake with it but it works so much better with my hardware....

kuwchas: The install to hdd is new in knoppix 3.3 - no 'complex instructions', just a simple shell script that kicks off the right stuff and lets ya choose where..

I had an old 3.2 and this rocks even better + if you don't install the loopback filesystem is MUCH faster.

Its the hardware detection and autoconfig that really ROCKS in this. Especially the details (like nvtv is installed AND working) and such. I guess it won't work as easily on every machine.... some people have no prob with Mandrake - some like aussiejohn BUY hardware specirfically for 9.1 and it then fails on 9.2...

This is absolutely NO RISK.... try it.

if it works then it works and you lost the time to download and burn a CD. (Well not really cos its a great rescue disk :D)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I think I have found the easiest way to install Debain. You may find it cheap, but it only requires one CD and a good internet connection. Everyone knows that Knoppix is basically Debain, and that it is possible to install it on the hard drive. So here is the easiest way I have found it install Debian.

Normally updating to say sid from woody or sarge one changes the sources.list to sid and does:

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade

apt-get dist-upgrade.

If I install Knoppix 3.4 to the harddrive do I still do those commands or do I have to keep it up to date differently now?