USB card reader

scoopy

Time to settle this problem I have with a USB card reader. It has worked in previous versions of Mandrake with some editing of the fstab file, but will freeze on installing or bootup during the detect new hardware stage.

9.2 was supposed to have made it easier:

USB 2.0 support has been enhanced.

Hot-plug support allows you to plug in new hardware and have it automatically recognized and configured while the system is running.

I have a USB 2.0 card installed in system and everything plugged in there works (scanner, ext harddrive, 5 button mouse) without any problems.

I have tried adding lines such as these to fstab:

/dev/sdb /mnt/camera auto users,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/camera auto user,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,exec,kudzu,umask=0 0 0

This will still freeze on detect new hardware upon reboot.

Trying to set this up while up and running in KDE:

1) Plug in the card reader.

2) Fire up MCC and click on Harddrake

MCC will detect it as:

/dev/sdb --> Floppy format: ‎eUSB Compact Flash
and
/dev/sdc --> Floppy format: ‎Microtec CameraMate (DPCM

3) Now click on DiskDrake and it freezes

4) Try diskdrake in terminal and again it freezes.

All my drak packages have been updated:

drakconf-9.2-4mdk
drakxtools-9.2-19.4.92mdk
harddrake-9.2-19.4.92mdk
mandrake_theme-0.1.1-1mdk
userdrake-0.92-24mdk
drakxtools-newt-9.2-19.4.92mdk
harddrake-ui-9.2-19.4.92mdk

Am I doing something stupid or any ideas on what is going wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

scoopy,

Sorry man... I am not running 9.2 and don't have usb 2 here. My card reader is detected fine in 9.1 on both boot or hotplug but your fstab entries look a bit different than mine yet looks like they theoretically should work. (I don't think the kudzu works in mdk unless you install the package, but hey... if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?)

my fstab for the card reader is:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/removable auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec 0 0

Since your other devices are detected ok, it sounds like it might boil down to some hardware type of thing. Hmmmm. Wierd it worked before and won't now... Is the card reader a multi slot reader or single?

Looks like I sorta got it working now. BUT, it still freezes on bootup or shutdown when plugged in. Either during "checking filesystems" or "checking new hardware" or "stopping ALSA."

When I finally got an icon to appear on the desktop --- I quickly grabbed the fstab entry it made before losing it again.

none /mnt/hd supermount dev=/dev/sdb1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

I then changed "hd" to "camera" just because and I also deleted the ref to kudzu, since 9.2 doesn't have this and thought this could be causing the hang ups. (maybe harddrake2 should be there instead???)

none /mnt/camera supermount dev=/dev/sdb1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

Gonna leave it like so, unless someone figures this out or something else comes up on the subject.. Just gotta remember to unplug before shutting down now and then to plug it back in when I need it.

and yes it is a multi card reader (CF type I, CF type II, and the long thin ones, whatever they are)

thanks,

It could be a supermount problem; I never use supermount on removable storage devices because I'm tired of these kind of problems with these devices. Here's my fstab entry for my external usb hard drive:

/dev/sda5 /mnt/rem vfat user,exec,noauto,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,quiet,umask=0 0 0

You could try adapting it for your device. Just create a mount point for it in /mnt and change the above to reflect the device file for your card reader(/dev/sdb1) and the mount point you selected then comment out the two supermount entries for the device. If it works make a mounting icon for it on your desktop.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

I have a similar problem with device, I have USB Flash Card Reader, Targus PA505 that can read two types of cards (has two slots) the CompactFlash and SecureDigital/MultiMediaCard. I use Mandrake 9.1 and the device is detected by the system however I have problems on mounting it.

I created flash directory at /mnt/flash and also added the "/dev/sda /mnt/flash vfat user,noauto 1 2" in /etc/fstab. I checked "lsmod" for fat and vfat which were already loaded.

Then I tried "mount /mnt/flash" and this is what came out:

[raireg@localhost raireg]$ mount /mnt/flash

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,

or too many mounted file systems

[raireg@localhost raireg]$

Later on after restarted the system I even got an icon on desktop for sda device which could be mounted by right clicking and selecting "mount" however got the same message

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,

or too many mounted file systems

Should I create two separate directories at /mnt for each type of card for e.g. /mnt/flash1 and /mnt/flash2 ?

How to make the flash card reader mount properly or where is the problem that I can fix and make it work right ?

TIA