Need advice on what distro to use.......

jgutty

....on an old, old PC. I use MDK 9.1 on my main desktop, and I want to get my kids into the 'Linux' world. I have a couple of old PCs that they use in their rooms, one is a P133MMX with 128Mb Ram running Win '98. I loaded MDK 9.2 onto it to test drive the new version (BTW, I will stick w/ 9.1 on my machine for now).

9.2 loads and runs painfully slow on the p133....and my daughter is using an old 486 with 4Mb ram as a web-surfer. It runs Win '95 ok, but I want to get Linux on it also. I am certain that an old distro with a simple desktop manager would run better than '95.

I have a boxed set of MDK 8.2 CDs, would it be OK on the P133? Any ideas on what the 486 would need for an acceptable performance?

(I am not cheap, I just can't see throwing out a couple of PCs that work well. I intend to use the 486 as a print server or something eventually)

Thanks in advance!

Try here for older distros (like RedHat 7.3):

http://www.linuxiso.org/

You can download complete ISOs from the links they provide. Just about all the major flavors are covered. Most of the ISOs are most recent though, but RedHat 7.3 should work on a box like that. RedHat RPMs are i386 binaries for max compatibility.

Edited by JaseP

Peanut Linux is meant to be really good with this kind of set up and user friendly. Supposedly, any version of Redhat will do since it's archetictured for i386 processors, but with a light gui such as fluxbox. Or Mandrake 7.2 or 7.0 which is archetictured for i486 processors. I don't think anything above that you'll be able to install if you go with Mandrake.