What's wrong with yahoo guys?

melon2003

:angry:

games.yahoo.com. they offer a lot of free games for a web browser. They claim it's not unix nore macintosh compatibile, but I've found it different under Konqueror (i586 and sun java).

well, It's actually DOES work, so my question is: why someone writes some shockwave, java or flash software which is NOT platform idenpendent? It's designed to be that way, still some lame programers don't care to code properly. Or DO THEY, just in a different sense?

:unsure:

My first guess would be that the problem lies with Internet Explorer and not with flash/shockwave/java. The way that you embed plugins such as flash and shockwave into a web browser is different in IE and Mozilla. Therefore, my guess would be that what they really mean to say is that the games won't work with anything but IE. However, in their twisted little minds, this translates to 'won't work with anything but windows'. Cause as you know, everyone who uses windows uses IE. :P

Java by it's very nature is platform independent!!!!

The problem I've found is that the MS java virtual machine in IE appears to be different to that of sun / blackdown / whoever and doesn't play by the rules. The lame coder that makes the Java games probably doesn't have any other version of Java to check it on and they just say it doesn't work so they don't have to support it. I'm thinking support may be the entire reasoning here.

If people can't make platform independent (read STANDARDS COMPLIANT) web sites using HTML what hope do we have of anything else being done properly...... :wall:

Guest kuchwas
Java by it's very nature is platform independent!!!!

The problem I've found is that the MS java virtual machine in IE appears to be different to that of sun / blackdown / whoever and doesn't play by the rules.

That is exactly why Sun sued MS, (and won btw) is that the MS jvm was not "java" compliant, but claimed to be. That is why IE java written programs don't play weill with the "real java" in Linux.

There are tons of hits in Google for "Sun Lawsuit Java Microsoft". Here is one of the best explanations.

http://rss.com.com/2100-1001_3-251401.html

I think they actually SHOULD sue microsoft for acting like this. This all, once again, works badly against any mac or unix/linux user. I would even move one step further and sue (or somehow act against) games.yahoo site (and other sites offering incompatible java/flash/shockwave software). Apps in java or flash SHOULD be used with compatibility in mind - why force anyone to install/use windows (even win4lin, as I do) with programs which (as I believe) can be VERY EASILY written (converted?) to work on every platform. Is it really so hard to write it properly?

Do you, by any chance, know sites with nice, well written java/flash games? :D

o yeah, that's lame, isn't it?

still, some software on their page is for linux and mac - better this than saying that the page is NOT COMPATIBILE with anything else than windows while it's working (like on games.yahoo).

For years I've been trying to install linux box at my internet cafe, this kind of things are killing me. Some day I'll probably surrender :( - People can accept the fact, that things are 'clicked in different way' but they won't use something that is not working or is claimed not to work. Money is an evil invention.