samba + proxies??

Peppercorn

Hi,

I have a network set up now with a server acting as a gateway to the net. I have a win 2k box on that network which is able to access all the boxes on the network. BUT

I cannot get the win2k box to be able to share the internet connection.

I have tried setting up MS Explorer with the squid proxy settings but to no avail. Then I set up the gateway settings on the win2k box for the server. But I still cannot share the internet connection.

Any ideas would be very welcomed as my oldest kid is starting to get on my nerves hassleing me with

"Are we on the net yet Dad?"

Thanks

Suggestion, buy one of those little firewall/router thingies from best buy and use that to share the internet. Fast and easy to setup and your kid will be on the net.

To help with what you are doing we need more information, I am a little confused about your setup.

You have a win2k box that is acting like a server and you are using it to share the internet? So, where does linux and samba come into this? List each computer on your network and what each of those computers is doing. Also, just to make sure, the computer you are trying to use to share the internet is the one connected directly to your internet modem and has two NIC cards in it?

What kind of network are you running, how many computers, what are they doing, etc????

Sorry Fuzz baby, you have misunderstood me. The mandrake box is the server and the gateway. The win2k box has to get on the net through the server! It can't!

On the club forum, a guy there said that it is my shorewall setup not Samba. So I am looking at that!!

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have Shorewall running, then you will need to get it set up first.

Per the Shorewall website, the default config that Mandrake sets up when you use DrakFirewall (or DrakGW, I forget) does not configure it correctly.

How many NICs does your "server" have? In my case, I have two NICs. Open a konsole and type:

slocate interfaces

You should find three configurations (one-interface, two-interface, and three-interface) located somewhere in /usr/share/shorewall/.... I don't remember the exact tree. Anyways, copy the files in that location that pertains to your set up in /etc/shorewall. Once that has been done, the only real configuration changes you need to make is to /etc/shorewall/rules.

The Shorewall web site is well documented. Be sure to read the sections on Samba and FTP. As soon as I get home, I will try to post my rules file to give you an idea of what you may want or don't want set up for your set up at home. You could potentially be online tonight.

Edited by sglafata

Here is my /etc/shorewall/rules file:

#

# Accept FTP connections from the local network to remote servers

#

ACCEPT loc fw tcp 21

ACCEPT fw net tcp 21

#

# Accept DNS connections from the firewall to the network

#

ACCEPT fw net tcp 53

ACCEPT fw net udp 53

#

# Accept SSH connections from the local network for administration

#

ACCEPT loc fw tcp 22

#

# Allow Ping To And From Firewall

#

ACCEPT loc fw icmp 8

ACCEPT net fw icmp 8

ACCEPT fw loc icmp 8

ACCEPT fw net icmp 8

#

# Redirect all locally-originating WWW connections request to port 3128 on the

# firewall (Squid running on the firewall system) except when the destination

# address is 192.168.0.10

#

REDIRECT loc 3128 tcp www - !192.168.0.10

ACCEPT fw net tcp www

ACCEPT loc fw tcp 80 #Allow from the

ACCEPT loc fw tcp 443 #web local

# access network

# Allow NTP (Network Time Protocol) connections from the firewall to the network

# and from the local network to the firewall

#

ACCEPT fw net udp 123

ACCEPT loc fw udp 123

#

# Allow POP3 (email) connections from the firewall to the network

#

ACCEPT fw net tcp 110

#

# Allow SMB/NMB (Samba/Windows Browsing/File Sharing) on the local network

#

ACCEPT fw loc udp 137:139

ACCEPT fw loc tcp 137,139,445

ACCEPT fw loc udp 1024: 137

ACCEPT loc fw udp 137:139

ACCEPT loc fw tcp 137,139,445

ACCEPT loc fw udp 1024: 137

#

# Allow Bittorrent to download

#

ACCEPT loc fw tcp 6881

ACCEPT fw net tcp 6881

#

#LAST LINE -- ADD YOUR ENTRIES BEFORE THIS ONE -- DO NOT REMOVE

From this, you can see that I have Squid set up for a proxy and that all local traffic gets routed thru it to get to the Internet. I have my browsers point to my server IP and port 3128 for the proxy setting.

The FTP entry allows for the download of the security updates. It will not download if this is not entered here.

Restart Shorewall and see what happens. Keep us posted with what happens. :thumbs: