XBMC 9.11 Camelot for Mandriva 2010.0 RPM package

tux99

After several hours of working on the spec file, I have now created a Mandriva 2010.0 XBMC 9.11svn package.

XBMC is a slick Media center application very popular for HTPCs.

Here is the link to download the package:

http://www.linuxtech.net/downloads/XBMC_media_center_mandriva_rpm.html

Once downloaded open a terminal as root, cd into the directory where you downloaded the package to and then install it with:

urpmi xbmc-9.11-2.0plf2010.0.i586.rpm

Once installed you can run XBMC either directly from the login screen in standalone mode (click on session selector icon, the 'pencil' icon in the lower right corner on the KDM login screen) or from the application launcher menu in KDE or Gnome under "Sound & Video"

Edited by tux99

I just discovered that due to changes in lircd 0.8.6 (used by Mandriva 2010.0) XBMC doesn't find the lircd device by default, lircd 0.8.6 now puts the device in /var/run/lirc/ while XBMC is expecting it by default in /dev.

I have therefore updated my Mandriva XBMC RPM with a postinstall script that creates a symlink from /dev/lircd to /var/run/lirc/lircd.

Therefore I advise anyone using my Mandriva XBMC RPM to download the latest version (which is also based on the newer svn24802 version) or else run the following command as root to create the link manually:

ln -s /var/run/lirc/lircd /dev/

Guest phil_de_laine

Thanks for this great work.

I installed the rpm on my 64bits box and works.

Sometimes it crashes but no harm.

You should update the xbmc wiki so that everybody knows that it is now running under Mandriva.

Now that you have the method to package it, do you intend to issue another rpm for the new versions (Camelot)??

Thanks again.

Edited by phil_de_laine

I have made an updated XBMC Mandriva 2010.0 rpm package available on my website at the usual address: http://www.linuxtech.net/downloads/XBMC_media_center_mandriva_rpm.html

Highlights of this update include:

- fresh svn version 25146, which is 9.11 beta1 + recent patches/updates since beta1

- new default Confluence XBMC skin

- fixed lircd 0.8.6 path issue properly, no more need to create any symlinks

If you are running an earlier version of my XBMC package then I strongly recommend an upgrade, the proper fix for the lircd path issue and the new Confluence skin are well worth it.

Thanks for this great work.

I installed the rpm on my 64bits box and works.

Sometimes it crashes but no harm.

The package is built for 32bits only, sorry I don't have a 64bit build environment to do a 64bit package.

But my spec-file is available on my website so you could make your own 64bit package with it.

Now that you have the method to package it, do you intend to issue another rpm for the new versions (Camelot)??

I will be updating the rpm occasionally, I have just released a new update, see my website.

Edited by tux99

• 2 weeks later...

I have updated the Mandriva 2010.0 XBMC package with the following changes:

- bumped svn version to 25484

- added workaround to fix CD/DVD playback, using internal libcdio instead of default Mandriva libcdio0.81

- enabled goom visual effects in build (to use them you still have to activate them in config)

- added config file to allow xbmc-standalone to be selected as default autologin desktop from MCC

- moved xbmc-standalone session file for GDM to /etc/X11/dm/Sessions/ to avoid duplicate menu entry

I highly recommend to upgrade to this new RPM as it fixes CD/DVD playback (with a workaround, waiting for XBMC developer to fix the issue properly)

Get it here as usual:

You don't make an x86_64 version? I just installed Mandriva 2010 x86_64 so thought I would check out your rpm. Of course, I can still install i586, but prefer x86_64. If you don't have, then I suppose I can always compile it myself.

I don't have a box with x86_64 Mandriva installed, also XBMC has known problems with x86_64, no showstoppers but still it's not as mature as the 32bit version yet, see here:

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58131&highlight=64bit

If you want you can always grab the spec-file from my web site and build a x86_64 rpm yourself, I'm pretty sure the spec-file needs some changes for x86_64 though.

Thanks tux99 for packaging up this great media center :)  :thumbs:

For those who don't know, you add scripts and stuff into a hidden .xbmc folder.  To make the process even easier, add the SVN Repo Installer.  You will then be able to install scripts from within the media center instead of manually having to put them in the correct folders.

• 2 weeks later...

The Mandriva rpm package of the 9.11 Camelot official release of XBMC is now available to download from the following page:

If you were running a svn rpm until now, please uninstall it first, before installing this release version (use either the package manager GUI or rpm -e xbmc in a terminal as root to uninstall it).