rpmdrake crashes on 2007 [solved]

sermat

Hi to all: Just a quick problem: I must have mucked up something on my 2007, because when I run "rpmdrake" I get this error:

[root@localhost ~]# rpmdrake &

[1] 4565

[root@localhost ~]# examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.main.cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.contrib.cz]

Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for default has no name

Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for default has no directories

[1]+ Segmentation fault (core dumped) rpmdrake

[root@localhost ~]#

Can anyone help.

Regards,

serge.

Have you changed desktop theme recently?

Reset it to default and try again.

scarecrow !!! Man you are good !!! This is exactly what I did (i.e., changed the theme a couple of days ago). And your suggested fix solved the problem !!! Thanks a million. But just a stupid question: is this a bug, or expected behavior?

Thanks and best regards,

serge.

But just a stupid question: is this a bug, or expected behavior?

Ehmmm, hard to answer. It's both a bug and "expected behavior".

GTK simply hates some elements of KDE themes (remember that your Mandy desktop is KDE, while urpmi is a bunch of perl scripts with a gtk graphical interface...), and bangs when the desktop theme uses some "strange" elements.

If do not wish to change desktop theme every time you want to use mcc, then you should either:

- Logout and log back in using another desktop manager, say icewm, or

- Ask Mandy developers doing a qt4 port of mcc.

I won't do any of the above, as I have stopped using Mandriva effectively three years ago, but... you can make a choice.

Regards.

Hi again, scarecrow:

Ehmmm, hard to answer. It's both a bug and "expected behavior".

GTK simply hates some elements of KDE themes (remember that your Mandy desktop is KDE, while urpmi is a bunch of perl scripts with a gtk graphical interface...), and bangs when the desktop theme uses some "strange" elements.

If do not wish to change desktop theme every time you want to use mcc, then you should either:

- Logout and log back in using another desktop manager, say icewm, or

- Ask Mandy developers doing a qt4 port of mcc.

I won't do any of the above, as I have stopped using Mandriva effectively three years ago, but... you can make a choice.

Regards.

OK, In the last half hour I experimented a bit, and can confirm that switching KDE theme to "classic" causes rpmdrake to crash. Now I don't know if the following is connected to this also, but Seamonkey crashes so often on certain web sites. But Konqueror does not crash on these same sites.

Also, you say "...as I have stopped using Mandriva effectively three years ago", May I ask, and I hope I'm not intruding, what are you using now?

Thanks again for your help,

serge.

Why not use CLI and urpmi?

Cause there's no easy way to pick packages that way. I'd surely prefer a console/ncurses interface, but since this isn't supposed to be "n00b-friendly" this couldn't be a priority for Mandriva (although I agree that it should exist).

What I'm using? Ummm, just see my avatar! :P

Called Arch Linux, and it's the cleanest, simplest, fastest, gutsiest distro available... but if you are CLI-phobic, then it certainly isn't for you!

System administration is extremely simple, due to the BSD-like system structure, but all is done via CLI- or "at best" via a slimmed down webmin.

Edited by scarecrow

Thanks scarecrow. Yes, I should have noticed the Arch avatar (Arch is based on Slackware, isn't it ?). The main reason i'm (have been) using Mandriva is their Control Center. For example, it configures my printers so easily. Other distros had trouble with that.

Oh, just to note, re. the rpmdrake/KDE problem: I'm using Gnome now and all is well.

REgards and thanks again,

serge.

I guess I have just developed a habit of browsing an ftp site, picking a package that I am looking for, and using CLI. With the appropriate sources configured, depends are not a problem. Of course, it does not work for specialty or custom programs.

I have used Arch. It is less cumbersome than Mandriva.

(Arch is based on Slackware, isn't it ?)

Ummm, no, not really. Some things in Arch remind Slack, but the OS itself is mainly based on Crux Linux (which is a fairly original Linux distro), with BSD-like scripts, and a unique package manager (pacman), and certain bleeding edge philosophy.

The only similarity to Slack is the simplicity of the initscripts (although in Arch they are even simpler), the tarball based packages (although the Arch ones manage dependencies via Pacman, while Slack does not manage deps), and the fact that almost half of the current Arch users were, at some point, Slack users (the other half were Gentoo users).

But no, Arch is definitely not a Slackware clone... it's a brand new, modern distro, with some unique features, which you may love or hate.

Thanks for the clarification re. Arch. Although I am not a Linux CLI expert, I have now lots of time on my hands (I just turned 60 years of age and just retired) so I just might download Arch and prove (at least to myself) that an oooold dog CAN learn some new tricks.

Any way, you have been quite kind and I do thank you for your help.

Regards,

serge.