How to block ICMP pings?

wakish

HI..

I have tested my security on the link on the faq : https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I came to know that my pc has the following vulnerability:

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

Please can you help in blocking those ICMP??

My shorewall is set to level: "high" and i have even said NO in the configuration where it says "do you want to broadcast ICMP echo/pings...something like that..But still no +ve result.

Thanks!

look at the config for your router ;)

some routers you can't turn off icmp replies

I don't find anything about ICMP on my router configuration page :(

1) Is there anything else that can be done to prevent ICMP broadcast?

2) Is this vulnerability really serious?

and your router should be able to be ping such in case that there are network problem, and your provider needs to check if you're up, they should be able to do so, also, some network monitor relies on ping, if they wont be able to ping your side, they will think that the equipment on your side has been down.

If you're really worried about security it might be worth getting the router to forward ports to a non-existant IP address on your local network.

Oddly enough my router sometimes responds to exrternal pings, sometimes it doesn't...