ALSA support forSoundblaster Live!5.1

rsanjiv

Hi,

The quality of sound when I play audio CDs is horrible. The driver I am currently using now is OSS. Is it possible that things will improve if I switch to ALSA ? I remember some guy posting in a different newsgroup that he was able to get his sound card (the same as mine. This card get shipped with lots of Dell machines) up and running using the onboard ALSA drivers. However, he was using mandrake 9.2. Is anybody using this card on mandrake 9.1 and able to listen to audio CDs without any degradation in quality (I am not having any problems with mp3s, by the way) ?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Sanjiv

Hi! I am using the SoundBlaster Live 5.1 and the same driver as kuchwas recommended. Works fine, though I don't have a full 5.1 setup, just 2 normal speakers that sound great. Mandrake should actually config it with that setup on install. If not choose it in MCC and it should work fine.

Offhand, do you have any cpu cooler software running? That can sometimes cause skips and tweats.

Hi,

Actually, my sound card is configured. I am able to listen to mp3s without any distortion at all. The module being used for my soundcard, I believe is emu101kx (as opposed to emu101k). The ALSA homepage does list the emu101k module as being supported but not so for the emu101kx module. That is why I was not sure if installing ALSA would help.

Regarding your other question about cpu cooler software, how do I find out if they are running ?

Regards,

sanjiv

rsanjiv,

If you did not install cpu cooler software, it probably isn't installed as I don't think any distro installs it by default. So you'd know if you have it. The common names would be Athcool, cpucool, etc. I doubt that it your problem.

If I get my broadband up soon I'll try to surf and see if I find any solution for you. You might want to check some other linux boards and google to see if you find any new solutions.

• 2 weeks later...