VMWare and Mandrake 9.2

TopDog

Anyone running Mandrake 9.2 in a VMWare session?

I've installed mdk9.2 on my corporate laptop as a viritual VMWare machine. Installation went great (of course, it's Mandrake B) )

... but now I have two problems:

1. I cant get VMWare Tools installed (not really that important, but any tips would be appreciated).

2. This is the biggie: MDK recognises my networkcard, but it claims it's down, and I can't get it working... the wizard runs through OK, but it never get a DHCP-adress. I use NAT, should I try bridged f.ex. instead, or any other tips?

I need to get this working to run a test on some monitoring products I'm tech-support for...

ok vmware tools in linux is tricky.

if memory serves i think it creates a cd-rom drive in /mnt.

about the network wizard, i'd say nat is the way to go, do you have a firewall running on your machine that might prevent your network from going up?

Sorry if I'm not much help but i'm used to doing this the other way around :)

if memory serves i think it creates a cd-rom drive in /mnt.

about the network wizard, i'd say nat is the way to go, do you have a firewall running on your machine that might prevent your network from going up?

I've mounted the CDROM and run the installation, it asks for the patch to something called ls.... don't remember, sorry, will check and get back to you on that one.

But the important thing is that I don't get networking up, I've tried both NAT and bridged. NAT works on my viritual 2000server and my viritual 2000pro. I've run the network wizard, it detects my card and everything, but still no IP.

I discovered yesterday that under boot, networking fails... but it recognizes my card... what's wrong?

A college of mine has gotten mdk8.2 working under VMware on an exact same laptop without any of the problems I have :blink:

Hello Topdog,

I did not try to install the VMWare Tools yet, but I did have the same problem with network connectivity. It took me a long search, because I did not look in the correct source which bears a lot of answers: the VMWare Knowledge Base.

From there I got this answer that worked for me:

>>>>>>>>>>>

To work around this problem, become root (su -) and use a text editor to edit the following files in the guest operating system:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth[n]

/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth[n]

In both cases, [n] is the number of the Ethernet adapter -- for example, eth0.

In each of the two files, add the following line:

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes

Then run the command ifup eth[n] (where [n] is the number of the Ethernet adapter) or restart the guest operating system.

<<<<<<<<<<<<

I hope this works for you as well.

The knowledge base says that MDK 9.2 is not (yet) a supported guest. Probably this just means that VMWare Tools do not work with MDK 9.2 or even just that they did not test it yet, because I can use all features in MDK 9.2 that I like.

If you have news on the VMWare Tools, please let us know.

Kind Regards,

Sitor

Thanks, it worked just like you said, except that in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ there was no files, so I copied ifcfg-eth[n] from the first directory.

Too bad about VMware Tools, but it's no bigge for my use, the only issue is that the mouse-pointer is somewhat slow.

Edited by TopDog

TopDog....

I used VMWARE on Mandrake not on Windows.

On top of this I installed Win98/2000 AND several distro's. None of these caused a prob with the tools install.

The biggest decisions are when setting up networking for the virtual machine. This MUST be very different under Windows to Linux and I guess is the root of your problem.

Sorry I can't be of further help but my knowledge is completly on running vmare ON linux.

• 1 month later...

Gowator,

I used VMWARE on Mandrake not on Windows.

On top of this I installed Win98/2000 AND several distro's. None of these caused a prob with the tools install.

You use MDK 9.2 as a host, right? I'm asking 'cause the're stuck with 9.0, according to their website. Which version of VMWare did you use, BTW?

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I found a guide on the VMware forums to get the NIC online, so I'm just missing VMware tools now, and that is really no biggie! I get the job done without it :)

• 3 months later...
Guest darkstone

hi,

i'm trying to install vmware (4) on mandrake 9.2 so i can run winxp without leaving mandrake but i keep getting this msg when i enter the path "supposedly" of the kernel header files:

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.22) does not match your running

kernel (version 2.4.22-10mdk).  Even if the module were to compile successfully,

it would not load into the running kernel.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running

kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

I can't seem to find these headers anywhere :wall:.

Did u have this problem, if so how did u solve, if not, any recommendations.

thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Install kernel-source-2.6.3-4mdk (for MandrekeLinux 10.0) and:

telinit 3

...log in as root...

/usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl

...aswer some simple questions...

/usr/bin/lspcidrake

/usr/bin/cpp-3.3.2

...return to run level 5 (X11) if required...

telinit 5

:-Y ffox1@wp.pl

• 3 weeks later...
Guest apocapta
Install kernel-source-2.6.3-4mdk (for MandrekeLinux 10.0) and:

telinit 3

...log in as root...

/usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl

/usr/bin/lspcidrake

/usr/bin/cpp-3.3.2

...return to run level 5 (X11) if required...

telinit 5

:-Y ffox1@wp.pl

I tried this out your recommendation but the vmware tools install expects a directory , not a 'cpp-3.3.2' binary.

• 1 month later...
Guest bertro

hi, all.

this thread started almost a year ago and maybe the author solved his vmware tools problem, but i'm just gonna post my answer in case there are other users facing the same problem.

he said that he got stuck when the installer asked for the localtion of 'lspci'. well, for some unknown reason, our dear mandrake dev team have decided to rename 'lspci' to 'lspcidrake' (go figure :P ). so when the script asks you for the location of 'lspci' just type in '/usr/bin/lspcidrake', or -if you prefer- create a symbolic link to lspcidrake and name it lspci.

my mandrake 9.2 worked just fine under vmware and now my mandrake 10.0 is installed on the "real" machine, as such a nice OS should be. :headbang: