After a smooth install...

Jeigh

Ok, I'll be happy to admit I have very little linux experience, all of which is with Redhat, but I decided to install mandrake 9.2 on my box and I did so quite easily. The boot loader worked like a charm after installing it all and loaded to a text login. I thru in my username and password and it worked but only went to the like command line for my home directory...while I've seen it before I have no clue what to do as I assumed it would load into the GUI like redhat...is this the norm and I'm missing something obvious or is this an error that can be fixed...?

You forget to tell linux to start in x! So, at the command prompt, type "startx" and then you can go into the Mandrake Control Center (MCC) >boot>Drakeboot> and tic the launch graphical environment. You'll be all set!

I will, but i'm having trouble finding a download location...any help is welcome

edit: I found a torrent, but my torrents havn't been working well the last couple days, like 1kb/s lmao....3.5gigs is a hella long time at that speed :P

Edited by Jeigh

You could try overnet/edonkey:

http://www.overnet.com/

I have had good luck with this and a Linux, mac, or windows client available.

or you could try connecting to a Mandrake mirror and work your way up and into the other distros they offer and see what's there. (I just tried to see what version of Suse is on the public mirrors, but could not connect to Mandrake for there list of servers.)