No sound on hp omnibook 4150

impuLse

I HOPE YOU GUYS DONT LEAVE ME HANGING LIKE THIS GUY http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=8012 :angry:

wow, acting like that certainly doesn't help your case any...

anyways, do you happen to know what kind of sound card it is? have you checked http://www.linux-laptop.net/ to see if they have any info on your notebook? there looks to be about three links there.

hope this constitutes "not leaving you hanging"

(p.s.-all-caps is the equivalent of yelling, and is considered to be rude, please refrain from yelling in the future, thanks.)

Try typing draksound on the console (in root mode) and pick the correct driver. I think the driver should be nm256_audio. Then check whether the module is truly loaded by typing lsmod. Then use aumix, kmix or other mixer program to unmute the sound and put the volumes up, 3/4 of the way.

I don't have any mandrake machine handy right now, so I am not able to check the mandrake configuratin system. However, here is a link to check just in case you need more help.

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-p...00&module=nm256

Since that uses alsa instead of OSS, the driver name is different. Try following the steps over there.

sorry I'm really busy and don't have any experience with your problem. I would suggest you post a bit more info or start a new post to see if you can stir up some help. Things that would help... let us know which version of mandrake you are running.. .9.1 or 9.2

Have you checked mandrake 9.2 errata? It has some info on alsa sound card config problems.

Error scenario: When configuring your sound card, alsaconf does not start but instead prints an error message such as "Error, dialog or whiptail not found".

Why: The alsautils package should have required newt or cdialog, because alsaconf needs one of them, but it does not. These packages are only installed when one chooses gdm as the display manager instead of the default kdm. (re: Bugzilla #6039)

Solution: Install either cdialog (urpmi cdialog) or newt (urpmi newt).

So if you are seeing that error message when it is booting, that might be a good place to start. You can check if cdialog or newt are installed from the Config--Packaging--Install Software. Search for them in rpmdrake and make sure one of them is installed.

I took a quick look at some of the HP Omnibook 4150 installs on www.laptop-linux.net and yes, it is a bit technical for a newbie. You might try contacting one of the guys that succeeded and see if they can offer help too.

Sorry I'm not versed in the sound config area... I'm guessing it is a bit tougher than normal to get it going, but not impossible. Don't let it get to you... you will overcome!