kernel source

jimhandler

The last thing that happened after executing "make 536ep" was

"autoconf.h does not exist,please install kernel source."

I have XP in one partition and Linux in another, installed at hal-pc in Houston.

Since I have a winmodem- intel536 - the driver needs to be installed. I downloaded the driver from Intel - as another member adivsed.

I have looked in the "Starter Guide" and Nemeth's "linux Adminstration Handbook."

But I cannot figure out how to install a kernel source. I assume it is :help: on one of the 9 CD's from Mandrake.

By the way, which of the 3 numbers on the box is the license number ?

Thanks,

Jim Handler

On to the next step...

When I did the urpmi autoconfig, the message came back:

"no package named autoconfig or autoconfig.h". I found the option that lists all

packages with config in it, none being autoconfig.h. Then I browsed all the CD's

that came with 9.2 but none had autoconfig.h on it.

I then tried to install Intel-536ep-4.51-47.src (RPM) directly from the floppy

to which I had downloaded it previously (remember, I cannot access the internet

using Linux. I thus browse the internet from windows at my work - which has a high speed network connection). The install package (in Konqueror) came back with:

"The following packages have bad signatures: /mnt/floppy/ : invalid signature (MD5 (GPG) (MISSING KEY) GPG #9C800aca NOT OK) Do you want to continue installation ? I click on the ok bar and the light flickers for while and than quits.

I have also downloaded to a floppy INtel536ep-462-M91-SMP.tgz. This is where i followed the readme instructions and eventually was told I needed autoconfig.h...

Perhaps I need to throw away the winmodem and get another ?

EPO in Houston said they didn't support Linux. Guess I should have taken them more seriously when I had them build the computer for me a few weeks ago...They changed it out once from the original US Robotics version - who refuses to support Linux at all.

Jim Handler

11-25-03 9:30 Found autoconfig.h source !

did what I should have done first - a google search for autoconfig.h

came up with "Source File autoconfig.h" at

www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/cxref/ doc/autoconfig.h.src.html

I downloaded it to a diskette. I assume that I put this in /usr/src/linux and I can continue ? Or do I have to do some kind of install of this file ? Or do I have to have a Mandrake specific version of this ?

Jim Handler

Edited by jimhandler

Do a "urpmi kernel-source" on the command line in a terminal, and Mandrake will ask for the correct cd. Just a note, anytime a software program is compiled on a computer, the kernel sources need to be there. Remember that you need to su to root in order to install software. Or you can go to mcc> software management> rpmdrake+ and select the sources for installation. Again, Mandrake will know which cd they are on.