Java and Flash for Konqueror

Guest slr

I've already installed java and flash for both mozilla and firebird but i'd like to know how i can do the same thing with konqueror...

I suspect that there should be a plugins dir where i must copy the necessary files but i don't know where it is...

I'm running the download edititon of MDK 9.2.

Thanks in advance :D

Edited by slr

In the KDE Control Panel, there is a section called Webbrowsing. Go there then go to plugins. Pick the Scan tab, press new, then add the directory where the mozilla plugins for java and flash is located. (usually it's either /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins or /usr/lib/mozilla<version number>/plugins) Then press scan for new plugins button.

To check whether the plugin is sucessfully installed, go to the plugins tab

concerning Java in Konq & to add to what Dragonmage said, make sure the path to Java is set correctly.

KCC->WebBrowsing->Java&JavaScript

where it says: "path to java executable, or 'java'" make sure the path to your Java installation is correct. mine looks like this:

/usr/local/j2re1.4.2/bin/java

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I've not had any success adding Java to any of my browsers. I downloaded the Java rpm from the suggested site ( ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/Misc ) and used URPMI to install. In the process of installing URPMI ask about some missing files and if I wanted to download them. Of course I said yes. But I received an error message that stopped my from going further. I tried once before with the rpm from the Sun site and it hosed up my system so when I received an error message ( I think is an error message ) I stopped the installation. So, what's the next step. Any pointers? I'd really like to have Java installed in my browsers. Thanks.

Error message:

This message when asking about missing libs, files, etc...

Is this OK? (Y/n) Y

Please insert the medium named "International CD (x86) (cdrom3)" on device [/dev/hdc]

Press Enter when ready...

Please insert the medium named "Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1)" on device [/dev/hdc]

This message after the files, etc were downloaded:

The following packages have bad signatures:

j2re-1.4.1_01-5mdk.i586.rpm: Invalid signature (sha1 md5 (GPG) (MISSING KEY) GPG#4536bc42 NOT OK)

Do you want to continue installation ? (y/N) N

[root@localhost downloads]# exit

smartjak.........

the first part of your question........

This message when asking about missing libs, files, etc...

Is this OK? (Y/n) Y

Please insert the medium named "International CD (x86) (cdrom3)" on device [/dev/hdc]

Please insert the medium named "Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1)" on device [/dev/hdc]

it was just telling you that you were missing certain required libraries (libs) for the Sun Java to work correctly. you just need to put in the corresponding MDK CD it's asking for & answer "yes" to install those libs. if you did that already, then you did the correct thing. it's not an error.

the second part........

The following packages have bad signatures:

j2re-1.4.1_01-5mdk.i586.rpm: Invalid signature (sha1 md5 (GPG) (MISSING KEY) GPG#4536bc42 NOT OK)

Do you want to continue installation ? (y/N) N

......pertains to a file signature key. basically, the key checks the integrity of the file you are installing. in general, if you got the file from a reputable site (such as Sun or here at the forum) & know the download wasn't corrupted, you can just answer "yes" there to continue without the gpg key. i've done it many, many times without a problem. if you want to avoid that message, get the gpg key from the downloads section of the forum & install it.

getting Java to work correctly in Mozilla can be a bit tricky. if you're using the rpm from the forum downloads, it should install & link itself without you having to do anything else. if you're using the Sun Java tar.gz installation file, then you have to sym link your Java installation to Mozilla's plugin directory. there are instructions on the Sun site to tell you how to do that. (just ask Mystified ;) )

in short, to sym link Java to Mozilla, you need to.......

open a terminal

su to root

cd /path/of/mozilla/plugins

type the following:

ln -s /path/of/your/java/lib.so

as for Konqueror, it's much easier. just follow my comments a few posts up to get Java working in Konq.

Chris

Edited by chris z

chris z, I'm using the rpm from the forum and you're correct, it insatlled without any error messages. But when I test it out, Jave still does not work. What next? Do I have to point Jave to my browsers? If so, how do I go about doing that? How do I find out where my plugin fold is? As root I do a 'whereis java' and this is the results...

[root@localhost smartjak]# whereis java

java: /usr/bin/java /etc/java /usr/share/man/man1/java.1.bz2

Did the same for Mozilla:

[root@localhost smartjak]# whereis mozilla

mozilla: /usr/bin/mozilla /usr/lib/mozilla /usr/share/man/man1/mozilla.1.bz2

Also, while I don't use Konqueror very much I'd still like Jave to work with it. The same with Opera and Epiphany. Is that possible? Help. Thanks.

smartjak...........

open Konqueror->setting->configure Konqueror

scroll down to "java & javascript"

make sure the path to java points to where your java is installed.

IE: mine looks like this: (your path may differ depending on your java installation. from what you wrote above, yours will probably loo like /usr/bin/java/your current version of java/bin/java)

/usr/local/j2re1.4.2/bin/java

then scroll down to where it says "plugins"

make sure "scan for plugins globally" is checked & then click the "scan for new plugins" button.

set the scan to the directory to where you java is installed, or choose one or more of the choices in the selection box.

click "apply" "ok"

open Mozilla->edit->preferences->advanced->scripts & plugins & make sure all boxes are checked EXCEPT FOR "create or change cookies"

make sure you have java enabled.

"apply" "ok"

still in Moz, click "help" "about plugins"

it will show you all plugins installed. it should show Java now. try a Java enhaced web site to test it out.

(also, one more note. when installing Java or searching for the plugins in Konq, make sure you are not running Moz at the same time!)

gotta get to work now...........

Chris

Edited by chris z