Halt Issue

liquidzoo

I'm having problems shutting down my laptop ever since I installed 9.2. When I issue the halt command it goes through all of the procedures to shut down the computer, but it results in a blank screen and I have to press the power button to actually turn off the computer.

I know that this problem is not uncommon, but I couldn't find a post here with a solution. I have tried both apm and acpi, both have the same result. I upgraded the kernel from the vanilla 2.4.22-10mdk to 2.4.22-25mdk and I am still having the same issue.

This is not a major problem since I can still turn off the computer and it doesn't really affect how the system runs, but it is annoying. If anyone has a solution as to how I can fix this problem, I would love to hear it.

I was looking through the /proc/acpi/ folder and I did notice a file there called poweroff. I will have to look at it more when I get home from work, though.

Also, when I issued the command cat /proc/acpi/event to see what was listed in that file, it told me I didn't have permission. I thought that was strange, but maybe that's not uncommon. I did it as my normal user, but that shouldn't make a difference; should it?

Ok, back now that I've had a chance to give this a try. The poweroff command isn't working. Same thing happens.

From a few things I have read on the web, this may be a problem with the kernel itself. People report success going back to the 9.1 kernel or ahead to 2.6. Most of the problems are relating to kernels in the 2.4.22-*mdk series.

Does anyone else have a laptop that is running any of the 2.4.22 series of kernels that is having this same problem? I'm curious to know if I'm the only one.

Well, I went through the config of my 2.4.22-25 kernel and everything looked right as far as APM and ACPI goes. There was one poweroff option that was not included that I changed to include in the kernel; but it was still compiling when I left for work today, so I don't know if that was the problem or not.

I do know, however, that the 2.6.0test9.5 kernel rpm that is in cooker right now does not work with my system. I installed it and tried booting, but all I got was a black screen. The HD looked like it was booting, but my wireless card never turned all the way on, so I don't know if it really was or not.

I will report back and see how the changes to my 2.4.22-25 kernel goes.

Ok, recompiled the 2.4.22-25 kernel and enabled the option under bios poweroff in General Settings (I'm not sure exactly what it's called, it's under the APM section) and everything is working fine!

By the Way, this is the first time I've recompiled my kernel that hasn't been from a srpm :D

• 1 month later...

Ok, thought I would add an update here. After my kernel recompile, I was experiencing random freezing and locking up. I thought it was associated with my screensaver and the power management associated with the screen, and the halt issue came back. I think it only worked right once or twice. Worked every time as long as I didn't log in to X.

Anyway, yesterday I compiled and installed the 2.6 kernel. I used the nvidia drivers that were linked to in a post by cybrjackle and everything is working great! Halt has no issues at all anymore, no random freezes yet. I haven't re-enabled the power management yet, but that will be later tonight.

Next to see if the suspend feature works now...

Ok, thought I would add an update here.  After my kernel recompile, I was experiencing random freezing and locking up.  I thought it was associated with my screensaver and the power management associated with the screen, and the halt issue came back.  I think it only worked right once or twice.  Worked every time as long as I didn't log in to X.

Anyway, yesterday I compiled and installed the 2.6 kernel.  I used the nvidia drivers that were linked to in a post by cybrjackle and everything is working great!  Halt has no issues at all anymore, no random freezes yet.  I haven't re-enabled the power management yet, but that will be later tonight.

Next to see if the suspend feature works now...

Good on ya Liquidzoo!! The 2.6.0 kernel rocks!

Good on ya Liquidzoo!! The 2.6.0 kernel rocks!

yes it does! ACPI is better, usb is better, usb2 supposedly works but I can't confirm, hotplug is better......it's better, just as we expected. Speed increase isn't there as hoped but it never is, though it does seem smoother. The 2.6 is the first kernel where acpi works on my Abit KD7 VIA KT400 MoBo. Not a laptop though. Keep us posted on the rest of acpi's features LZ.

Edited by bvc