Flash Player Install in Mandrake 9.2...

Guest slr

I downloaded the latest version from the macromedia site and tried installing both as a regular user and as root with no success...

I'm Running Mandrake 9.2 which was installed a couple of hours ago so there is no mods or odd things that i've done to the system...

I never experienced this problem with 9.1...

Can someone help me by giving me the exact instructions of what i should do...

Thanks in advance!!! :)

I don't know if it's the cause or not, but right after installing flash my mozilla browser stopped working and I have been unable to get it to work since. :unsure:

By the way, you may be able to find an rpm of flash. There is one here but I think this is for 9.1 and it happened to be the one I installed which might have messed up my mozilla so try it at your own risk. You might also find an rpm for 9.2 somewhere.

Good luck. :)

Already searched for a 9.2 rpm and didn't find anything...

I just wonder why it doesn't work????

I must have read all the faq's in the world for that subject but i cannot seem to find the answer...

Problem solved!!!

For those that will encounter a similar situation there is a package that needs to be installed for the flash plugin to work...

Name is "libstdc++" make sure you have it and you're set...I managed to do the install as a root "system wide"...

I don't know if it's the cause or not, but right after installing flash my mozilla browser stopped working and I have been unable to get it to work since.  :unsure:

Yea, flash killed my Mozilla install as well. I was able to ressurect it temporarily by deleting the .mozilla folder in my home directory. I then tried to reinstall Flash and eventually just permanetly killed it.

I now have to use an install of Mozilla 1.5, which isn't too bad, but it is not as integrated into the desktop as the default mozilla install is.

Warning: be carefull installing Flash in Mandrake 9.2, it may toast your Mozilla install.

Then don't do an rpm install that someone built for a system that may be different than yours...

The original file you download is pretty easy to install...

Just point it to usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/ (If i remember correct...) as a root, install the library that i mentioned above and you're set...

You've got it installed system wide without any hassle... ;)

Edited by slr

Yep, that is exactly what I did. And what others have done as well.

It completely toasted Mozilla on me. Everything worked fine until I followed the steps you just outlined. After following them, the standard 9.2 install of Mozilla never worked again.

Well it worked for me....

And it also worked for firebird (rpm install from a contrib source i think...)

I just copied the files from the mozilla plugin dir to the firebird and in 30 secs i had java and flash support for firebird...

Maybe trying to install as a normal user will work better but i really cannot understand the prob...

The link above is as official as it gets, for now, and has never failed, not once. Sets up the plugin via /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins......so that it's always found after changing versions. The one time I tried someones self made amateur rpm, it failed...never again.

Actually I should add that I originially tried the files as downloaded directly from Macromedia, but it didn't work. Someone told me that there was a dependency problem with those files and that I should use the ones available from mandrakeusers.com. These are the rpm's that I installed that hosed my Mozilla install.

I don't think I will be trying anything other than official macromedia flash files every again.

Another endorsement for the rpm on the sluglug site, over the one on the macromedia site. I also learned that the libstdc++ that is needed is libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.83mdk not libstdc++5-devel-3.3.1-2mdk.

Now I need to figure out why installing JRE as described in the mandrakeusers tip causes MozillaFirebird to cease working. Luckily, removing the symlink allows MF to work again. Of course, LlimeWire works now, so there was some forward progress.

sigh.

Scott

Edited by Scott Thornley