windows can't connect to linux via samba

arthurking

fuzzylizard, YOU ARE THE MAN :headbang:

:D the problem was the encrypted passwords. I don't remember setting that but I may have, confusing it with null password, or some b.s.

Any way thats my excuse :woops:

Are you running 9.2 from the newly released iso's or rc2 like I was?

Damn took me all day, plus most of last night to install the new 9.2 iso's.

Md5's were all ok, but it kept on hanging during install, then I installed and updated some kdebase thing and lost all the kmenu items, configuration, network, only a small handful of programs, and I couldn't urpmi or rpm to update.

I re-installed again ( a couple of hangs later) and now I'm in :unsure:

I set the encrypted passwords to yes and then no, just to be sure and that was it!

Thanks for your help.

Cool, congrats on getting it all working. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

The install hanging like that is a little weird, but hey, if it works, who cares.

The install that I used was 9.2 from the mandrake club bittorrent ISO's. Although, with all the updates, it should now be the same as the general public ISO's.

I'm about to add a post in the install forum having weird/ strange install sessions. md5's are OK but sometimes the install hangs or says something about error installing xxxx_ package or some crap. Very hit and miss, I thought it was corrupt data on cd2, I don't know.

But now having trouble with updating stuff too, tried to update kdebase from .79 to .79.1.92 and then I lost 95% of my K menu applications and all the icons that remained turned into folders. AAAHHH!!!!

Turned into a right old mess, had to re-install again/again/again.... if you know what I mean.

Any way thanks for your help, I'm going to the install forum now :-)

Losing the menu options in KDE when you upgrade has been a common problem. I had it as well when I updated. To fix it, all you need to do is to run the menu thingy, menuconfi, or something like that.

Do a search for dissapearing menu items and you should find info about what to do when it happens.