Red Hat 9.2

I installed Linux Professional 9 (Red Hat 9.2), and it changed the font size and margins of the splash screen. Wether I boot in Win98 or Linux, I cannot see the bottom line of the commands being shown. For instance, if the power goes out, and I restart the computer, I cannot see the line in linux that states that I 8 seconds (or however many it is) to press Y to have it check the system. I have a 17 inch monitor, and I would like to know what file I need to change (or delete) to resolve the problem.

Yesterday, I received my Mandrake 9.2 disks. I am going to remove Red Hat and put on Mandrake. If I have to delete Win98, and reinstall it, that would be OK with me. I have Win98 and /backup on 1 hard drive (10 G) and then I put Linux on another drive (20G).

Thanks,

Kieth

I'm really not sure it's actually called a splash screen. But when linux is loading, or starting, there are various lines telling you what the program is doing. Well, that "page" is so large, that the last line is below the monitor screen. Also, the margin on the left is way too large.

Kieth

Right, with you now. Could you let me know which bootloader you're using (redhat defualt is grub) and what resolution you'd like your monitor in (say 1024 x 768). It might be handy if you could post your bootloader config too (by default for grub it's /boot/grub/menu.lst).

I'm using grub, and I like the 1024 resolution. My bootloader config. file is:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda

#

# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file

# NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that

# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.

# root (hd1,0)

# kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb1

# initrd /boot/initrd-version.img

#boot=/dev/hda

default=0

timeout=10

splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)

root (hd1,0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi

initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img

title Windows

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

Kieth

Qchem, thanks for the reply. I was not able to answer sooner because, as I said, I was going to install Mandrake 9.2. Which I did. Then after I was able to resolve some things, I tried what you advised. Unfortunately, it did not work. Is there something else that I could try? Thanks.

Kieth

Ok! Now, after my login screen (when I have to choose between Windows 98 and Linux), the screen is perfect. Thanks. I do have three other questions, though.

1) If I wanted to have a 800x600 screen, what numbers would I write?

2) To make the correction in lilo, and not just in grub, what file would I change?

3) The screen(s) before I get to choose between Windows 98 and Linux, is still messed up. If I choose Windows 98, all the splash screens are messed up. How could I correct this? When the computer is first turned on, and it looks for the hard drives, etc., everything is OK. Then after that, it is not correct. Even if I go into BIOS, that whole page is off center and too large. In what file do I need to add the vga "code"?

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

Kieth

1) use vga=0x315

2) change /etc/lilo.conf and place the vga= line before the first image specification. Don't forget to rerun lilo to keep the changes.

3) this vga code is actually just for the Linux framebuffer, it sounds like there is something going on in your hardware that defaults to a strange resolution - not sure I can help with that, sorry.