• Announcements

• spinynorman

Mandriva Official Documentation

Official documentation for extant versions of Mandriva can be found at doc.mandriva.com.   Documentation for the latest release may take some time to appear there. You can install all the manuals from the main repository if you have Mandriva installed - files are prefixed mandriva-doc.
    • paul

Forum software upgrade   10/29/17

So you may have noticed the forum software has upgraded !!!
      A few things that have changed. We no longer have community blogs (was never really used) We no longer have a portal page.
      We can discuss this, and decide whether it is needed (It costs money) See this thread: Here
danny1262

Connecting to Windows printer with Samba [solved]

I made a clean install of Mandriva 2010. When trying to configure my printer (on a home network, printer is connected to a Windows computer) I no longer get the option to add a Windows printer using Samba. This option used to be there in 2009.1. Is this a bug or is there a package that I need to install?

Samba is installed by default, I can see the network, but I am unable to locate the printer.

Thanks for any help.

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Thanks for the reply scarecrow, I did not get a chance to work on that last night, I will attempt again tonight and let you know if I am able to resolve the issue.

Thanks for your reply!

Scarecrow, I was able to resolve the problem by using the CUPS web interface to install the printer. I am not quite sure how or why this worked, but it did. I would like to see the printer installation through the Mandriva control panel to return to what it was in Mandriva 2009.1 (Spring). Hopefully this is something that can be re-incorporated prior to or in the 2010.1 Spring release.

Thanks

cups has made some major changes to the API in the last few releases (even the webUI has been totally refactored), so you can expect a couple of things being still broken with a few of the frontends for it.

I did not know that, but it makes sense. Fedora 12 has the same "problem", I was playing with the live CD yesterday and ran into the same issue with it. Apparently this is not a Mandriva issue only.

Post number 4 has the solution in it. He used cups.