Aspen System Partners with Mandrakesoft

DragonMage

Great !

Go on Mandrake !

Among its expertise, Aspen System may provide what Mandrake need: good service.

Mandrake patnership with Shuttle,

Red Hat out of the desktop,

Novell buy Suse,

Now Aspen System partners with Mandrake,

Gael Duval who announces a great news for the end of the year.

Lots of things. All good for Mandrake it seems.

roland :)

Umm... small question - who is/are Aspen and Shuttle? And why is this a good thing?

Adendum to above:

As far as I read the article, Aspen is only interested in the cluster technology in the highend version of Mandrake Linux (I actually had no idea that mandrake had a "highend" cluster version, anyway). And they only really want to offer this to their customers who are also interested in highend computing.

So what exactly does highend mean anyway???

Edited by fuzzylizard

I think mandrake has some technology or product that makes clustering easy. Like Clusterdrake or drakcluster or something. Here is a link

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/clustering

Clustering is not for everybody, but it is nice if you need a simple supercomputer in order to do something like rendering farms, server farms, etc. I think small - medium businesses and studios will benefit from this.

Hmm.

Aspen primarily make supercomputer's and clusters.

This is not desktop territory.

Most specifically cluster technology is not exactly what people expect it is.

90% of it is a throwback to the 60's mainframe job submission ....

You can't just run a cluster like a really fast PC, it needs the apps to be written specifically for multiprocessing and mainly you submit them into queues for pure number crunching. Bascally everything is cron'd but scheduled to allow the best interaction of the processes that would be running at any one time.

This present partnership seems bizarre. Sorry but if i wanted a Linux cluster I would do like 90% of people and run Debian. Mandrake just isn't stable enough

(lets not do the windows arguament here)

Neither are any of the good things about Mandrake actually useful in a clustered environment, you don't want a Internet Connection sharing wizard on a cluster etc etc.

Therefore one has to Wonder what Aspen are actually planning ....

Are they making a foray into desktops or support or what??

Shuttle is a different matter entirely. (although they are actually gaining favour as cluster machines.... due to their small size and liquid cooling)

Obviously they are nice desktop machines (I have 2) and the marriage with Mandrake is obvious as a desktop distro.