9.2 Installation Woes

leebrown

I've just done (for the second time) a fresh install of 9.2 on a dual-booting Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop. I've been using this machine as a dual boot machine for nearly a year now. I've done a network install of 9.2 and everything appeared to go smoothly with a few minor exceptions (I had 3 files appear not to install 2 of them were related to KDE, no I didn't write down the names one was an artwork file the other I don't remember. Initially the kernel didn't install either, but it did install successfully in the end).

When the system rebooted everything appears to go smoothly, I get to the login screen but it appears to not be the same login manager as 9.2rc2. It will not allow me to login. I know the password and login name are correct. I can not login with either root or the one login I created.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Lee

You could see if you can login from a text console. Press ctrl-alt-F1 (thru F6) to get to a text login.

If that doesn't work, try booting into single user mode by pressing ESC at the lilo boot menu and then

linux 1

you should then be able to change the root password. You can then go into multi-user mode

init 3

see if you can login as a normal user or as root. If you cannot login as a normal user but as root, login as root, then

su {name of normal user}

and then

passwd

to change the password.

All of this assuming that the only problem has to do with the password...

Edited by paleo

Paleo,

Thanks for the reply. I've always wondered how to easily get to a text login. However, the password wasn't the problem. Once I switched to text I was able to login.

Another thread here suggested switching to text doing startx and then using MCC to change the login manager. However, once I switch to text startx won't work. I get a long X failure message. The only suggestion is to delete /tmp/.X0-lock. Even after doing that X still won't start. Which seems odd since it starts well enough to bring up the login manager that won't accept my password.

Is there another way to change the login manager? I'm comfortable using vi to edit config files if necessary.

Thanks,

Lee

I think linux (CLI) and X have each there own keyboard charactere map and keyboard driver too.

I had once a silly password that worked under X (or a shell window under X) and didn't worked on text mode.

You may try to change your password, something simple using only letters.

For that, on the CLI, as root, type "passwd".

Hope this help

roland

I had 3 files appear not to install 2 of them were related to KDE,

Because you mentioned this, I would try reinstalling KDE if Roland's suggestion don't do the trick. I would also delete the hidden .kde folder too.

This should give you two choices for the log-in manager... one is mdkkdm, that is the one I used... the other I don't remember... maybe kdm something ?

Oops ... thank you all for your help. Apparently it's a bad idea to install a OS updates on too little sleep. I did the install with custom partitions because it was a dual boot system and I didn't want it to get messed up.

:oops:

Unfortunately, I reversed the / and /home partitions and ended up assigning the /home partition to the 9.2rc2 / partition. Like most OSes Linux doesn't seem to like having two / partitions on the same system.

I formatted both partitions, reinstalled and everything is working great!

Thanks again.

Lee