Mandrake 9.2 Peer Review

spinynorman

• 4 weeks later...

... chaotic. But just (like in: fair).

The chaotic part is where user 1 and 2 tell their experiences and give 2 totally different recommendations.

Conflicting opinions can make a very nice review process, but because of the lack of context in both evaluations, you find yourself more confuses then before the article... and I am actually using Mandrake.

It's a weird kind of review system, with weird result.

It's basically one like, one ok, one dislike.

One of the reviewers seem to confuse the version of gnome included in mandrake 9.2. I checked back to make sure and it is gnome 2.4, not 2.2 like he said.

Anyway, out of the box, I wouldn't recommend mandrake 9.2 either. I would however, recommend the 9.2 "extended" version: the 4 disk updated 9.2 iso found at mandrake.contactel.cz.

Fully updated 9.2 is better than fully updated 9.1 though.

IMHO the guy who didn't like Mandrake 9.2 didn't like it for the wrong reasons.

The non-uniform views were good, so you see that one person who knows Mandrake really likes it (me), one guy who doesn't know it liked it ok (but seems to believe there is such a things as a perfect linux, which will only exist once all hardware is fully supported and all software is ported -- i.e. never) and one guy who didn't like it, but who as far as I know didn't really take the time to get into it. BTW I'm not sucking this out of my thumb, he had to ask me what to do to get his mx700 working, and I doubt that he put in much of an effort to find out how to get other things working.

Nagging about OOo being 1.1rc4 instead of 1.1, wrongly nagging about gnome2.2 instead of 2.4, then gimp1.2 instead of 1.3 whereas 1.3 is not officially stable etcetc. Ah well.

But that is all fine, it shows how things can go. Actually I found it a good thing to have someone positive, someone negative and someone inbetween about the distro.

Which is better than having just a very positive review and people trying out and not getting the same computing nirvana...

Dragonmage, even without updates for me 9.2 is better than 9.1 -- like I said, to me it's the best linux ever (but I haven't tried so many lately, it just works fine for me).