KVM makes my mouse go crazy!

phunni

I am using a Belkin KVM switch to switch between my PCs. The computers I am switching between are as follows:

1) Server running Mdk 9.1

2) PC running Red Hat

3) PC dual booting between windows and Gentoo

If I switch to the gentoo Pc while it's running X then my mouse goes absolutely crazy! (cursor jumps around and clicks everywhere). None of the other systems do this - including red hat.

This seems to be a known problem as there is a troubleshooting guide in the back of the KVM switch manual - but none of the fixes work.

Because just works in red hat - I think it might be a problem with my X config. My XF86Config-4 can be found here

At present the only solution is to restart X - not really a workable solution!

I am running fluxbox as my WM. Any ideas?

I have this exact same problem at work. all OS's except linux work fine with it. whenever I switch to my linux box, I do >ctrl<->alt<-F3, >ctrl<->alt<-F7. Its a pain, but it works.

I was also told that it helps if your KVM is powered.

phunni, that should be inherant to X11, not gentoo.  are you sure you're doing the keys right?  its just like you would do if you hit ctrl alt del.

oh yes - you're right. My keyboard has a button to lock or unlock the F-keys. I needed to swtch it on...

now - when I go back to f7 (this seems to be my X session) some of the colours are screwy - how do I fix this...?

By the way - this does solve the KVM switch problem :D but now everything looks horrible! Still - making some progress feels pretty good :joker:

• 2 weeks later...

OK - found another potential fix - if I change the protocol of my mouse in XF86COnfig-4 to "PS/2" instead of "IMPS/2" then I no longer have any problems withthe mouse and the KVM switch.

But, not surprisingly, I no longer have use of the wheel on my mouse - except as a middle button...

Is there any way to configure a PS/2 mouse with a wheel other that IMPS/2 ?

It's a Kensington mouse - no frills