me again, display settings

haggisinscotland

Hi its me again, sorry for the secon post of the day. I managed to get MDK 9.2 to startup, it took me to the command line. I realised I had not setup my display/video properly after reading around here. So I reinstalled, but when I got to the display section of the install nothing I tried would test okay, it kept saying an error had occured please change a parameter.

I have a Saphire Radeon 9600 pro card running on a LG Flatron L1710B flatscreen monitor. Its running through the DVI input output cable.

Is the flat screen a problem? Its not listed under vendors so I selected flat screen 1280 x 1024, but this did not help. I see there are three options for the graphics card - radeon, radeon (fbdev) and radeon (fglx). It defaults to the last one. Do I need external drivers?

I can use a normal analogue cable between the graphics card and screen if thats the problem?

Sorry for being to quizical today, just eager to get up and running.

Haggis

Try the normal cable for a hoot. Linux might not be using the card for all its capable of.

Try using the genaric VESA driver just to see if you can get any kind of color screen. The VESA driver is an old old standard that 95% of cards still use to give a basic screen.

Instead of reinstalling try running as root......

xf86config

from the command line. This will help setup the hardware and vidio.

The radeon deriver in Mandrake 9.1 or 9.2 XFree setup does not work. Vesa is one solution. Here are some other solutions that I have devised. Ther are extracted from a post to other users:

Go to the URL www.xfree86.org/~alanh/drivers/x86/ and replace your XFree setup with the latest CVS (Do a file by file replacement, I recommend that you back up your old configuration just in case). I think there is a bug in the register usage which affects radeon cards manufactured by HIS, particularly if you have a VIA or SIS chipset based mainboard, this is addressed by a patch in the CVS branch.

Go to the URL http://gatos.sourceforge.net/ and replace your XFree radeon driver by the Gatos radeon driver as per the instructions on that website. I think there is also a HOWTO. You will need kernel sources package for this. Sadly, the Mandrake CD lacks this important package, you must download this. (They are trying to become Windows!)

The Mandrake X configurator, as well as the Red Hat X configurator or xf86config in Slackware may not correctly identify all of your monitor settings. Try to enter all modes manually. Alternatively, the Knoppix 3.3 and SuSe 9.0 X configurator software can do a better job. You may be able to boot with the Knoppix or SuSe Live Eval CD, if X starts there copy the appropriate stanzas of the XF86Config or XF86Config-4 file that they create to your Mandrake setup and this may get you going.

Be sure that agpgart is enabled in your kernel or is loaded as a module. Please double check this point. A mistake here will prevent you from using any driver other than framebuffer.

Are you sharing an IRQ between your graphics card and mouse or other hardware (modem)? Via chipsets are particularly fussy about this. Via issues Windows patches for this but as far as I know, no specific Linux patches are available. I have had colleagues changing from a PS/2 mouse to a port mouse to circumvent this.

Good luck

Do you have a manual for the monitor? I had a monitor that wasn't on the list and couldn't get it to work until I set the resolution and refresh rate correctly. The manual should tell you what refresh rate and frequency you need.

I too am a newbie and if that's not much help my apologies. My problem was quite simple in that I used the wrong parameters. I couldn't get past the monitor set up till I realised what was wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely NOT the monitor-cable or DVI or something else peripherical. The driver in LM9.2 just isn't capable to use this hardware.

Where i know? I got the same card furious3

The only way maybe are this gatos-thing above.

The ATI-drivers are NOT sources, they fit only on a special version of XFree and a special OS.

Didn't spend any further time in them, though.

If you've got a faster solution, tell me B)