bootloader 9.2

Guest tuxthepenguin

Guest tuxthepenguin

:help:

I installed mandrake 9.2 from the torrent, and spent a few hours customizing it, configuring and installing stuff.

Then I got Microsoft Longhorn at Microsoft PDC 03. Of course, I installed that, and it overwrote my mandrake 9.2 bootsector. Now I'm needing to boot into 9.2, and I don't want to re-install it. So is there anyway for me to overwrite the bootsector with Mandrake 9.2's LILO ? The box doesn't have a floppy drive in it - so I'd need to burn it to a bootable CD. I know windows/dos has 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot' to write windows bootloaded into MBR - does the mandrake CD offer anything like that ? Please help.

My previous message was not very kind, but nevertheless well meant. Do you have a knoppix 3.3 bootable disk? If not Download it. Use Google and look for Knoppix 3.3. Download. It is the most remarkable rescue cd I've ecer used. With that you can reach the boot sector of your hard disk and edit as many files as you wish. Another solution is to reinstall Mandrake from the CD and your new Lilo.config will (or may, this is a disclaimer) adjusts everything

Ah, I onderstood that you don't wish to reinstall mandrake 9.2. The other solution is to upgrade (not really) mdk 9.2 with the same cd's (an option during the install procedure) . In that case it leaves all installed software in peace and It should have the same effect.

Good luck

Yes, Mandrake has a rescue, has always had one since 7.x?

Put cd1 in the drive. At the splash screen, hit F1, and type rescue.

You will be presented with a menu. One choice is to reinstall lilo on the mbr. Do it, and your in!! ;)

Guest tuxthepenguin
Yes, Mandrake has a rescue, has always had one since 7.x?

Put cd1 in the drive. At the splash screen, hit F1, and type rescue.

You will be presented with a menu. One choice is to reinstall lilo on the mbr. Do it, and your in!! ;)

Thank you !!!

And also thanks to Earnie, you're intentions were good.