Printer networking

Guest bpitsenb

Guest bpitsenb

My roomates and I are sharing a connection by way of a router. Does anyone know how i might be able to hook a printer up on my computer, and make it available for my roomates to use as well. Also: what is the location/name of the printer config file, i am having trouble installing my printer and i think just clearing the config file will help.

I hate printers!

-Blaine

To share your printer you have to have a Samba server running. If you go into Mandrake Control Centre and look under the Wizard tab you should see the option for configuring Samba. One of the options the wizard gives you is to share your printer. I don't know how well this works or what you have to do the windows machines but it should get you started.

Edit:

(If you don't see the Wizards tab go into the software installer and do a search for "wizard" and install the appropiate packages. Then re-start the Control Centre and it should appear)

Edited by mtweidmann

Guest bpitsenb

I was just thinking: perhaps it would be easier and even better if i were to just make it so my roomates can remotely log into my computer via talnet or something. I am fairly new to Linux, I know there is a way to do this, but I have no idea how.

I also need to get the printer installed locally, when i try through Mandrake control center it tries to detect the printer and freezes, i think the printer config file is corrupt. Where is this file so i can clear it manually.

Thanks for the quick response,

-Blaine

Edited by bpitsenb

Printer sharing...

Actually sharing a printer in Mandrke is very easy. Just install the Samba server and add it from the Mandrake control centre.

If its freezing make sure you uncheck the search the network etc. and just keep the local printers checkbox

Not sharing a printer in Mandrake is perversely almost impossible if you use samba and the mandrke wizards.

Clicking OFF in the sharing part does nothing.

You might want to consider that your printer is actually shareable to the world when you are connected tot he internet unless your firewalled.

My friend is on a uni campus and struggled to get the printer unshared. Basically everyone on the UNI lan had access to the printer and spooling out windows prints made through the worng driver made for a lot of wasted paper.

Other than not running samba the easiest way was to install the printer every time she wanted to print and then delete it.

I have temoprarily just disabled samba...

If you use mandrake wizards then you will have no control over this...

Guest bpitsenb

Actually, the problem I'm really having now is that i can't even get the printer to install :wall: . I open up the wizard and it freezes. I had an older printer that i uninstalled. I think the printer config file is bad. All I probably need to do is clear that file and it should fix it. Does anyone know where this file is?

Can this helps...:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Debian-and-Windo...th_windows.html

soemthing about restricting access:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/R...rs-sharing.html

There is soemthing in here anbout setting upi the passwords:

http://handsonhowto.com/smb101.html

Hopes this helps some....I think that you can shut down some ports of teh firewall to prevent accessing teh server....But you can also add security using you config-files I think.