Your opinion: Sucking M$-user with SIMILARITY or FEATURES?

qeldroma

What's your opinion?

I think, that there are two interesting ways for getting M$-users in linux.

Following a little help for me:

"M$ser" -> Microsoft-User (sounds nice: "m-sir" :lol:)

• 1. Showing them, that it's "the same"

2. Showing them, that it's different

Of course both ways can live side by side, but i like to hear your meanings:

----------------------------------------------------------------

At my opinion way one has following advantages:

• + They (M$ser) will find a very fast way in the "new" desktop and can start work very fast again. I think of things like crossover Office with M$-Office.

+ Many Apps from M$ can be used again with wine, wineX or VMWare

+ "Simple structured" people aren't afraid, so the not computer-interested.

On the other hand:

• - M$ser do not see the real advantages of linux, if they keep stuck to M$-apps.

- The stqability will not be the same as with REAL linux-apps

- It's not so obvious, why to change, because they have to pay for licencing like before.

The second way:

• + M$sers get the impression that they can do nearly the same with DIFFERENT apps, i think of OOffice, KOffice, or the different Mail-clients, Browsers...

+ Much more place for individuality: themes, icons, point above...

+ Stability and security, but only if the admin knows what he does (!!)

+ Huge scalability, if used as X-terminals.

On the other hand:

• - "something new"

- "No price, no quality"

- M$sers have to be trained for the new apps

- some things work VERY different, like shortkeys

??

Another discussion will be the price, i personally think, that linux is not cheaper in the first time, but at longer sight, because you have to train the admin A LOT!!

I think that most desktop users don't want change. They've struggled (possibly against their will) to learn how to use a computer and now that they're there, they don't want to go through that struggle again.

That's a big problem.

On the other hand, people that use things from day to day tend to tinker with them whether they are conscious of it or not.

That could be a good thing.

Therefore, I think getting them to switch is easier if they don't have to jump through any hoops at the beginning (ie. it should work approximiately the same as windows). Once they are comfortable with that then they will start tinkering with it and learn linux bit by bit at their own rate. Eventually, they will know enough linux so that it will be the operating system they know and don't want to move away from (see, that works both ways too).

By the way, I don't know of too many people who have IT departments in their homes so I think if you want these people to switch, then administering the system has to be a no-brainer.

IT departments in companies generally dictate policy so it really doesn't matter what the user wants, only what the IT guys are familiar with.

Glitz.

Well...about to enter a touchy subject. I think Linux users in general are inconsistent with what they want. On the one hand, we want to bring more people into the fold and on the other we don't like htings that make Linux less Linux like (i.e. Bluecurve, Lycoris, Lindows...etc).

Most people have a hard time running Windows. If a Linux distro will fit all, it should have a very simple install process, with an advanced option for power users. It should have a very simple intutitiv desktop with minimal configuration option, with the option of switching wo an advance desktop.

So I guess, it should be like Windows only better (thats already a given --- stability, cost ..etc), but at the same time easier to use.

I think RedHat went the right direction. Making a simpler (thoug somewhat less feaute filed frontend) but keeping all the goodies too for those who knwo how to use them.

A friend of mine has asked me to come over and straighten up his Windows in a continuing effort. I joked on the phone about him installing Linux but there is no way he is ready for a change like that. He uses Windows for the Internet, scanning pictures of his family and reading the news on some sites, none of them technical. In my mind, he is the prototypical Windows home user. It is no wonder that AOL is so successful (up to now) if he is representative of their users.

If Linux is to beat Windows, it must be installed on OEM machines to win the desktop and now that the suit is over we are back to square one.

Counterspy

I got lot's of friends that i "conquered" with the multiple possibilities to individualize their OS in linux. And they are always impressed by the pure amount of different apps for the same thing in top quality. There are not more than two people in my area that use even the SAME browser!!

For me, this is one of the BIGGEST advantages of linux, too.

I am a pure desktopia freak :twisted:

My FIRST WM was enlightenment, think that says all.

My impression is, that we have to divide the users in "types", like

1. - DAO (M$ greets) --> Lindows, etc..

2. - Morethanthat (Knowign what a graphiccard is) --> Mandrake, SuSE

3. - Most of us in this thread --> gentoo, debian (okok, Mandrake :))

4. - Profs --> LFS / xxxBSD / Unix

I think, only No. 1 needs similarity, because all others know enough to find their way. Perhaps some of No. 2 will need similarity, to find in faster at the beginning, like me in the past :mrgreen:

average window users just don't want too change, they have zero interest in learning something else infact the are often strongly opposed to anything different.

heavy users who like learning new things, quickly become frustrated by windows and so they leave for linux/freebsd etc.

For most users ease of install is not an issue, they never installed windows they never will install an os.

They come to me and ask me to fix there computers, fix there printer, install some hardware, blah blah.

It often involves turning on the power switch( i am not joking).

It is very depressing, often the problem and the fix is the same every time, they say it's broken i come and fix it, show them what to do. Next time it happens they come to me and ask me to fix it, i ask "did you try what i have shown you 100 times?" "no" they say.

Sigh!

Well screw that, not long now untill i finish my database app, then windows is gone from my work place except for one box for quickbooks, latter i will see about using crossover for that.

As for my relatives and friends well, i can say i have forgotten how too use windows, i can give them tech support if they move to linux.

It doesn't matter how many 2s, 3s, and 4s are out there if the 1s have a choice between continuing to use what they already know (and be able to administer the system on their own) or having to learn something new (and relying on someone else) then I think most of them will stay put.

There are lots of distributions out there that cater to the tech savvy user. A few that cater to the majority of people would be a good thing.

Glitz.