ATI Radeon 9800 and gentoo

I am currently running gentoo linux 1.4 on my new PC

I have an ATI Radeon 9800 pro graphics card which I currently cannot get to work. I have installed the drivers and rung fglrxconfig to get a working X setup.

However direct rendering is not being used and I'm getting low framerates (around 340)

Rather than post my XF86Config-4 and contents of dmesg output and make this a huge post - I'll post links for anyone who wants to see:

relevant dmesg contents

XF86Config-4

The fglrx module gets loaded and I am confident I have my kernel configured properly. fglrxinfo returns the following:

display: :0.0  screen: 0

OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4

Any ideas? I want to play games! ahem, and do serious work of course...

ATI claims that their driver supports 9800 (look at the README file). But to have all features working, you need to recompile the kernel. Last time I read about this on www.tuxmobil.org, in the article about Mandrake 9.2 on Dell D600. D600 features RADEON 9000, ATI says it uses the same driver as 9800.

phunni........

this may not be any help to you 'cause i don't know much about driver issues, but do you have the proper/latest ATI drivers installed for that card? here's a list of ATI Radeon 9800 Linux drivers for that card. maybe it'll help? :huh:

Chris

phunni........

this may not be any help to you 'cause i don't know much about driver issues, but do you have the proper/latest ATI drivers installed for that card? here's a list of ATI Radeon 9800 Linux drivers for that card. maybe it'll help? :huh:

Chris

Those are precisely the drivers that i was refering to. Many posts say that installing rpm is not enough, the driver needs to be compiled and loaded as a module. Though I never did that, I have NVIDIA....

I have the latest version of those dirvers and I have them compiled in as module - fglrx

I am using a custom compile of the vanilla kernel with only the pre-empt patch.

Please note that I'm using gentoo not mandrake - although the only real difference is that I'm compiling from source not using rpms - which, as you guys say, is probably better anyway

• 3 weeks later...

i have switched from distro to distro trying to find one that works with the 9800 pro but with no sucsess.

i bought the 9800 for gaming on windows and while linux use was also a major consideration it was secondary to the first.

so while i might be disapointed at ati for there misleading information i am still happy with the purchase.

As a returning poster with ground to catch up, phunni I will give you the same answer I would have if this was a linuxiso question. Since you are using the stage 1 install, I would check out the Gentoo forum and if this has not come as an issue, it would be worth your while to join and ask.

Counterspy