Asus A7V600 SATA controller

Steve Scrimpshire

Does anyone know if this works with 9.2? I've done some searching and found nothing. I want to be sure it is supported before I buy a SATA drive (I no longer have Windows on this puter at all).

Edit: I'd like to know if it works with and/or without RAID.

Thanks. From this post on another board:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...6486#post576486

It looks like the 2.6.0 kernel is going to include support for it. Does anyone know if there is a kernel patch for this feature for 2.4.22?

Edit: I just found this experimental kernel http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/cooker/contri....1mdk.i586.html

which is supposed to include Via SATA support. I don't know if this also includes the fix for LG CDROMS, but has anyone who actually has a SATA drive on kt600 tested this?

Edit again: Supposedly, from this site:

http://www.mail-archive.com/expert@linux-m...m/msg77171.html

it only works using scsi-emulation. Can anyone confirm?

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Steve, I did a lot of google (groups) searches, since I'm looking to buy this board.

SATA it seems is not completely functional, I came across a post where they mentioned you can get it to work with some patches, but it wasn't clear to me at all how to use those patches if you only have an SATA drive and want to install....

Other than that, I was a bit worried since it is not clear if the chipset (especially the southbridge) is well supported; not even the kt400a chipset is properly supported according to some messages,... but then, those date to early september or before that, who knows if things are fixed...

Could you tell me if you have dma working, dvd-playback without any hiccups?

(what does 'hdparm /dev/hda' tell?)

And what other features of the board do or don't work?

I read AGP can be a problem, here: google groups postings they discuss what to do for ATI graphics to get AGP running.

That is quite recent stuff...

So do you have 3d acceleration (I have a gf4200ti 64MB similar to what you have I guess)?

I understand the ethernet comes with a linux driver, so that is fine.

If you would like me to get you the links to those newsnet postings where they discuss SATA, let me know.

[edit] I think I came across the same mention in a very different message that SATA via driver only works through scsi emulation, but that it worked quite well. There the problem was that the guy wanted to install with only an SATA drive..

[edit 2] As for hardware functionality under linux, I don't care about the audio; if it can do 5.1 (4.0 is what I need actually) I would like it, if not I just stick in my sblive5.1; I do care about the ethernet (need 100mb/s for now, to have gigabit ethernet could be really nice in the future) and the usb2 -- for external usb2 drives of colleagues it is a must. Can you confirm if that works properly?

Edited by aRTee

[root@omarserenity omar]# hdparm /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
multcount    = 16 (on)
IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
using_dma    =  1 (on)
keepsettings =  0 (off)
readonly     =  0 (off)
readahead    =  8 (on)
geometry     = 9729/255/63, sectors = 156301488, start = 0

The gigabit lan works great with the latest driver updated from the asus website. The Linux driver on the driver disk works, but with some problems. I have no trouble with agp with my Geforce 4 64 MB DDR 4x agp card. Onboard sound has no driver. I have no problems with USB at all, but could not tell you if it supports full USB2 functionality, but the USB2 Drive should be backwards compatible if it doesn't. I had trouble with dma (southbridge) in 9.1, but not with 9.2. The kernel that comes with 9.2 apparently is already patched for it.

As for dvd playback with no hiccups, I'll have to watch one when I get home from work today. Will let you know.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Thanks a lot Steve.

I'm currently having problems with usb2 and my Asus A7V333; it should work, a colleague has a later revision of this board and for him everything works fine and dandy, but for me on 9.1 it had some transfer flashes of 20MB/s and then nothing, on a 700MB file from an external usb2 harddrive. Transferred 80MB in total, not cool.

On 9.2 it worked, but CPU (on my gkrellm) was up to 94% all the time, and the speed of the transfer was at 1MB/s or so, usb1 speed.....

I did change some bios settings (usb legacy hardware support or so to OFF) but after that I didn't try 9.1 anymore, 9.2 didn't improve.

Your dma is fine, so dvd playback will not be a problem. With my board I went through the same of no support, so no dma, with 9.0. Had to recompile and all, but managed in the end.

The big thing was to find out that that was my problem...

I guess I'll open another topic to see if anyone knows, and if not, I may just take my chances. Unless you advice against getting that board, of course.

I love this MoBo, so I'm not going to talk you out of it. :D

It is my understanding that USB2.0 support is iffy in Linux in general and I doubt it has anything to do with the controller. I don't have a large USB2.0 storage device to test mine for you, sorry.

BTW the onboard audio is from Analog Devices, ADI 1980, which is supported according to http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/ with http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-p...&module=via82xx

so that should work (don't know if only stereo), and the corresponding module is included in 9.2...

It may be that you have to use another output connector/jack than under windows (that is, if you still have such a beast)...