a live Texstar preview disk

chris:b

Just visited the pclinuxonline forum - found this, posted by Texstar:

Just think of it as MDK 9.2 enhanced by texstar on a single bootable live knoppix style cd with 1.5 gigs of desktop applications and hopefully the ability to install right to your hard drive with everything ready to work out of the box. Im talking nvidia drivers, flash, java, urpmi setup... and of course all my cool application updates... the works. What is really neat is if we get all the bugs out of the mklivecd program then YOU can make your own mdk style bootable cd as well.

I may have another preview release next week that more people can try and give feedback so we can make adjusts to the mklivecdproject.

I've been working on a live bootable knoppix style CD based on mdk 9.2 with all of my cool mods and updated applications/desktop programs and everything setup to work right out of the box such as java, flash, urpmi and nvidia drivers. Hopefully the ability to also install directly to your hard drive. A complete desktop solution featuring over 1.5 gigs of desktop applcations. I've already had a successful preview last week and if everything goes good this weekend maybe another preview that more people can test next week.

What is neat about this is if we can get all the issues ironed out with the mklivecd project then YOU can make your own bootable live cd as well.

pclinuxos will be a community based non-profit distro simiar to Debian. Initially based on mdk just as mdk was initially based on redhat but hopefully will take roots and grow into its own.

Read more

Yup.. this distro is going to be great. If it actually work properly, I think it is going to be better than knoppix. Knoppix is a great distro but the menu is a bit too messy for my taste, and it does not have easy to use control center to configure hardware and stuff like mandrake does.