FTP server software question...

Guest klinger2004

Guest klinger2004

Hi - I hope I'm posting this in the right forum - I wasn't sure if I should do it here or in Networking...

Anyhoo - I have a little experience setting up an ftp server in Windows :roll: and a little in my RH9 installation. But I set it up originally with proFTPd and gftp. Upon reinstalling RH9, I read about vsftpd and I am insterested in using it because I've read it is very secure. Unfortunetly, I am a little to N00B to do all of this from the shell.

So, I was hoping anyone could tell me if there is a graphical front end to vsFTP available?

I also hear that PureFTP is also very good and I think has a graphical front end, right?

Or should I stick with gFTP/proFTPd?

Thanks in advance!!

Eric

My 2 cents:

Go with Proftpd. It's plenty secure--it runs several of the main mandrake mirrors. The Proftpd config file is quite similar to Apache, which you will want to learn anyway.

Get used to text config files. GUI is nice as long as everything works right, but when something goes south what do you do? How will you know what each GUI button does to the real config file? How will you fix your app? Push buttons and hope, ala windoze? You will find that many options on the GUI are named differently than the real options in the config files.

If you take the time to read the (ample) documentation on the web for each server, you will learn how your system really works and you will produce cleaner config files that are more stable and easier to maintain.

Unfortunately (or not), Linux is not meant to be easy. It's meant to be flexible, powerful and secure. Read. Learn. The rewards are many.

cheers

Guest klinger2004
Unfortunately (or not), Linux is not meant to be easy. It's meant to be flexible, powerful and secure. Read. Learn. The rewards are many

That I will - thanks.

Eric