Minimize button makes window vanish

scoopy

OK, fresh 9.2 install, and I got past the menu bug, and skirted past the LG drive disaster, but I can not figure out what to do on this one.

With KDE and Blackbox, when I click on the minimize button, the window just dissappears instead of dropping down to the kicker. Gnome is ok. the restore and close buttons work fine.

I tried the 80 megs of kde updates, reinstalling kdebase and even tried tex's kde (which doesn't want to install in 9.2).

Any ideas?

good ideas anna, but:

a) none of the kicker prefs seem to affect those functions (minimize, restore, close)

B) same problem in other themes

c: to reinstall galaxy means reinstalling all of kde (dependancies), which I have tried.

Looks like I become a gnome user for now ... which ain't all that bad I guess :wink: (gotta find a better theme/ icon set tho)

My only other problem at the moment is with my USB card reader, which is recognized by diskdrake, but didn't show on desktop like I thought they said would happen. Need to investigate this more later.

Wonder what package actually is supposed to control those functions of minimize, restore, close?

thanks.

PS: was really hoping this would be the one to send to mom to install, but there seems to be too many bugs yet :cry:

Well the kicker in KDE im sure is only for kwin, blackbox isnt going to go there. There is a GNOME-taskbar gdesklet you could run while in KDE...

Itd look better too.

Besides anyone got any ideas on how to make lfuxbox go into the GNOME one?? it doesnt want to.

James

Wait, wait, wait! Let me get this straight. You want to use bb as the wm for kde/gnome....it's not working so you're gonna reinstall?

OK :roll: :wink:

Why not just not use bb as the wm? Sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it to. Have you ever successfully done bb as wm with gnome/kde in 9.2?

AHH-HAA, I think you two are on to something here. You did catch me in time before I tried to reinstall again :wink:

I have always been confused between window managers and desktop managers, but it looks like I am currently using bb in conjunction with gnome and kde this time around INSTEAD of icewm. Never realized how they work together before.

I think my problem started because I only started this fresh install by selecting the bare minimum packages and added blackbox, thinking I could use this as a GUI desktop until I would add others such as KDE and/or GNOME. I figured it would tell me all the depends that it would need. This all worked fine until I found my application windows would dissappear if I clicked the minimize button.

I am in Gnome now and have added Window List to the panel AND guess what? My stuff is back in the task bar and that minimize button does its thing again. :oops:

So is this ok then... to use BB with KDE and GNOME ?

Super, thanks... I got it working in KDE now too :D It was just a matter of adding an applet/panel called "taskbar" How embarrissing :oops: (But come on, the taskbar was still there, just not doing its taskbar thing)

Maybe mom will be OK with this release afterall... as long as she don't have one of those LG drives. :wink:

Now I understand james' post and gotta check out that GNOME-taskbar gdesklet thingy :lol: