Help! 9.2 installation freezes in package installation

Guest korskarn

Guest korskarn

I am trying to install Mandrake 9.2, I get to the package selection screen, select what I want, then it starts installing the packages

But it freezes (even the mouse is frozen) when it says "Time left: 1 minute"

I remember seeing someone having the same problem, but I cant remember where I saw it (don't know if its here or somewhere else) and can't find it again. Does someone know what that problem is?

Thanks

Not sure, but when I reached that point, I needed to put in CD 2 for Blackbox. I chose a minumum of packages (no KDE or Gnome) to start with adding this so I have a gui window manager to work with.

Mine did not freeze there, but did freeze during boot up --- right after "finding new modules. I found this problem is related to my CF card reader (again!). Once I unplugged it, I was able to continue as normal.

:shock:

What... they have support now :?:

The last couple times I have tried that route, I got replies such as this:

Hello,

Thank you for using MandrakeSoft Professional Services

technical support.

Unfortunately your question is currently not included in

our list of free provided support.

We apologize for the inconvenience and invite you to ask

your questions on many of the freely available resources

MandrakeSoft provides to its users.

Some of these are:--

Web:

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/http://forum.mandrakesoft.com/

Which is exactly where I am at today, except with the "s" (for service). :wink: :D

Does the keyboard freeze? Do;

Ctrl>Alt>F1

Ctrl>Alt>F2

Ctrl>Alt>F3

Ctrl>Alt>F4

Ctrl>Alt>F5

While the pkgs are installing and see which is giving output. Keep it there until it freezes. 9.1 did that to me and it was evolution everytime. So, in the Individual Selection phaze I'd unselect evolution. No more freeze.

Sounds like a bad Cd or powermanagement/acpi issues.

Presuming you check the CD .... which apparently bittorrent checks itself when downloading :D then perhaps try pressing F1 for options at install.

The add ... noapci .. I can't remember the actual option but you just need to choose then normal and use the noacpi and perhaps a few other safe swtiches. try a search on here on noacpi. :D

Guest korskarn

I think I found the problem.

First, the problem is not a CD related problem, I am not club member, so I dont have access to the isos, I grabbed the tree and did a network install from my other computer. Then, the crash seemd to occure at random places during the install process, and once, I managed to complete it just to have mandrake crash during boot.

I beleive it was my SATA HD drive, I went in the bios and changed it from native to legacy mode, and now no more crash :-)