first time impressions of mandrake

Guest filthy_mcnasty

yeah, tuxxer that's the same prob i had.  

now i just gotta figure out this update stuff (urpmi and cooker and whatever they are and however they work)

urpmi is actually very easy, if you follow this link

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/

Check all the boxes presented and then go to step three , which you will copy and paste into a terminal window as a super user. Everything is configed for you.

After if you know of a package that you want , just su ,password ,and then urpmi foo , foo being the name of the package.

Or urpmi --auto-select will automatically update your system, cooker is one of the sites that you can urpmi from, but its highly not recomended for novice users ,as you could end up rebuilding your system.

Wait till ya get to compiling in mandrake ,and the mysterys of QT :)

Tuxxer

Guest filthy_mcnasty

using urpmi i was able to update KDE to the newest version and (supposedly) mandrake itself but i'm still clearly running 9.1.

i get lost on the "make it point to whatever" part of all the instructions floating around. then i thought i figured it out and had it point to a 9.2 directory on a ftp server then i did the

urpmi --auto-select deal and it then proceeded to download a ton of stuff but i dont see any change.

urpmi kernel then told me that "everything is already installed" so im missing something but hopefully will figure it out.

but some things (kde, gnome) definately did update so thanks for the help.

using urpmi i was able to update KDE to the newest version and (supposedly) mandrake itself but i'm still clearly running 9.1.

i get lost on the "make it point to whatever" part of all the instructions floating around. then i thought i figured it out and had it point to a 9.2 directory on a ftp server then i did the

urpmi --auto-select deal and it then proceeded to download a ton of stuff but i dont see any change.

urpmi kernel then told me that "everything is already installed" so im missing something but hopefully will figure it out.

but some things (kde, gnome) definately did update so thanks for the help.

Well looking at some of the posts , plus my own experience with RC 2 of 9.2 there was not all that much of a change between 9.1 and 9.2. I would have to look more into it , but right off the bat ,there is going to be no change in kernels , for at least six more months, till linus and the boys agree on whats a stable 2.6.

If anything , the differences seem to fall into two categorys

1 visible, which all stuff just looks more crystal and clean

2 and the invisible ,which was better driver support , and stuff like that.